Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy ?

• 23-05-2001 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

I ordered an Axia y 266fsb from Overclockerz in the States. $170 incl shipping. They need paypal which involves registering credit card, waiting for Auth. etc etc adding about two weeks to the transaction.
    Can anyone recommend an online reseller who will sell me an Axia/Avia 266fsb and allow me to pay by credit card.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Ocuk have 1 gig axia y chips. They are unlocked chips, so they will run on a 266fsb.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 23-05-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

www.scan.co.uk

Keep an eye on the today only section

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

1.3GHz *266FSB* AMD Thunderbird SoA CPU £182.13 sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Gerry I rang them and they are not 266 fsb.
    Unlocking only refers to the clock multiplier afaik. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Scan dont have them either.

Yes, thats why I said they will RUN on a 133fsb. The ONLY difference between a 200mhz fsb tbird and a 266fsb tbird is the multiplier.

tbird 1ghz 200 fsb = 10 multiplier

tbird 1ghz 266 fsb = 7.5 multiplier

the multiplier is unlocked on the ocuk chips, so you can run them on a 133/266 mhz fsb, and set the multiplier to 7.5. I don't see what the problem is with that. Chips don't mind what fsb they are running at, for example my p3 originally a 100mhz fsb chip, runs on a 167mhz fsb no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

So Gerry your saying there isnt any real difference between 1ghz 200fbs Axia and 266fbs the reason i ask as a couple of people have asked for axia chips with 266fbs which we dont have at the moment frown.gif .

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

the only difference is the supposedly locked multiplier, which has been broken, so after unlocking, no , there is no difference between the 2 chips

I have read on athlonoc.com that the 1gig axia's fsb can be determined by the letter b (200) and c(233) last digit on one of the 3 stepping lines. Can't remember which one, shall post link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Yup after much deranged searching i managed to comfirm what Gerry said b=200fbs c=266 but the point is mute if if the chips are unlocked.

Stone biggrin.gif

PS canaboid you could have one next day from us hehehehe couldnt resist.

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 23-05-2001).]

So why do they distinguish between the two at manufacture ?
    Stone, if you can beat £190 I'll buy.

• Advertisement

They distinguish between the 2 because each cpu still has a default multiplier, and if your motherboard doesnt have multiplier adjustment, if you have a c chip, you set the board to 133, and if you have a b chip, you set it to 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well i ordered stuff from scan about ...... 2-3 months ago . after 6 weeks they still hadent given me the stuff but had taken the cash . so i cancled the order . dont reccomend them at all

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by elexes:
    well i ordered stuff from scan about ...... 2-3 months ago . after 6 weeks they still hadent given me the stuff but had taken the cash . so i cancled the order . dont reccomend them at all

</font>

I think it's just a general online ordering thing. My mum let me put 200 quid sterling on her british switch card as a treat for my 21st birthday to buy a few pc bits.

I tried to buy stuff on scan/dabs, but had a strict 30minutes to get the stuff before my mum dissappeared off to work and i lost the chance, so in the end i went for ocuk.

Somehow or other the order fupped between my view of what the shopping basket was, and what got submitted.

I had to call them to rectify this.

They said they'd ship it straight away.

Then there was some other problem with not enough replacement parts being in stock for the hd i ordered so they upgraded and dispatched it.

This was 2 months ago.

Last I heard the package was officially somewhere between parcelforce and ocuk neither of whom wanted to admit to having it.

guess it's a ninja turtle thing or something...

TBH because of exams i've just forgotten about it for a while, so, why they hell am i posting on boards...

bah

must go to library.

bye.

[This message has been edited by spod (edited 25-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerry:
    Yes, thats why I said they will RUN on a 133fsb. The ONLY difference between a 200mhz fsb tbird and a 266fsb tbird is the multiplier.

tbird 1ghz 200 fsb = 10 multiplier

tbird 1ghz 266 fsb = 7.5 multiplier

the multiplier is unlocked on the ocuk chips, so you can run them on a 133/266 mhz fsb, and set the multiplier to 7.5. I don't see what the problem is with that. Chips don't mind what fsb they are running at, for example my p3 originally a 100mhz fsb chip, runs on a 167mhz fsb no bother.

</font>

Okay, I'd just like to get this straight.

If you have a Kt133a based motherboard
    (e.g. an Abit KT7a-RAID) plus PC133 cas2
    RAM, will there be any performance difference between a T-Bird with a 200FSB
    and one with a 266FSB?

If there is a difference, what sort of magnitude are we talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

no real difference once you can change it from 200fsb up to 266fsb.
    the difference coem in for who wont or cant overclock the cpu to 266fsb from 200fsb,
    then theres problems because you memory and all isnt runnin at top speed

If you run at 100/200 mhz fsb, you are able to run the memory at 133mhz, on the via kt133/kt133a based boards, like the kt7/kt7a raid. Even so, running both the fsb and memory at 133/266 mhz fsb gives a boost of up to roughly 25% in performance, usually around 10-15%. So its worth getting a 266fsb tbird, or running a 200fsb tbird at 266.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

Y'okay thanks for the info Gerry.

I think I'll go for a 266FSB if I can get my blinkin' hands on one smile.gif

Advertisement