Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital 8 Camcorders

• 20-05-2001 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭

A friend has asked me about digital editing on a PC, he has a Digital 8 Camcorder (Sony DCR-TRV110E), on the camera I noticed an i.link port, is this just another name for Firewire?
    Apart from this, any advice on packages/cards for editing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, I-Link is just firewire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Yep DV is usually transmitted using Firewire.
    They don't tell you this when your buying the camcorders but a proper DV capture card with firewire ports is probably gonna set you back at least half the price of the camera again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Thanks for the prompt replies, any advice on capture cards? And/or editing Suites?

sorry not a clue smile.gif
    Used to sell the cameras so have a fair idea on them, as for after sales support *shrugs* hehe

however a quick search on google reveals two pretty informative sites:
    http://dvguide.sharbor.com/head-to-head/
    http://www.geocities.com/dvnle/

they might be able to help you out smile.gif

Thanks mate, I knew I had something about it all in PCPlus mag, but errr I forget to get the rest of the months wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im a little confused here. I was always under the impression that a FireWire card was fairly inexpensive?

If your serious about DV at all, your best bet is to get a new mac. They come with firewire as standard. Plug in the camera and you can digitise, edit and play back to the camera no problem.

I was doing a job on location a few months back, and rather than hire in a full pro edit suite (Avid for example) we bought a G4 cube and Final Cut Pro. Worked a treat.

Ive used a lot of different types of Editing software and FCP is one of the best Ive come across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im not really a Mac evangalist, but i found this funny....

The Guy at http://www.geocities.com/dvnle/
    built his system as follows:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Optiquest V95 19" Monitor
    PII-350
    128M PC100 SDRAM
    Asus P2B motherboard
    32XCD ROM
    Floppy
    10.1G Western Digital Hard Drive
    ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 8Meg AGP Video Card
    Sound Blaster PCI128 Sound Card
    Yamaha speakers
    ATX Full Tower case
    Keyboard
    MS Intellimouse
    Windows 98
    IBM 16.8Gig 5400RPM hard drive
    Partition Magic 4.0
    Canopus DVRaptor
    </font>

We built ours:
    Mac G4 Cube
    Final Cut Pro

biggrin.gif

he already has a pc sure.

price of mac g4 cube?
    price of capture card?

Considering that the vast majority of people who would be buying new tech like DV Cameras already have a PC smile.gif
    Obviously its easier in the long run if you are doing a hella lot of video editing or dont have a PC in the first place.

Well as I say it aint for me, and I'm trying to keep the pricing down. Fella has the camera and PC, so its just the rest I need, a G4 is going to cost too much, takign into consideration the hardware/software sitting there already.
    Thanks for the input though wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I have all these things. a firewire pci card is about 80 quid i think. i got it in dublin. call over an ill give u a scan and demo a a kick up the bum.

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _
    <A HREF="http://homepage.eircom.net/~cullenm&quot; TARGET=_blank>
    sig.jpg
    </A>
    http://run.to/pile

• Advertisement

Cheers Mark, I'll come over have a look. You got all the software as well? When will you be about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

firewire cards from www.todayonly.co.uk for 23 quid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

I have a Sony DV camera and bought a Studio DV firewire card from Pinnicle. Works great - and it works with Adobe Premiere 6.0 very well. Warnings though - DV files are HUGE - I have 90 GIG of drivespace and will have to add more in short order.

Please note that Firewire will not work for you unless you have a Digital 8mm camera with a firewire port on it - the old 8mm cameras just have analog video out on them.

YEah thanks it has the Firewire port on it, and I know about the file size, if I could get a cheap IDE RAID card I would put that in for him as well with a couple of UDMA 100 HDDs

Advertisement