Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can we expect from Nevadatele.com and ESAT

Options
  • 24-04-2002 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

These two have applied to offer ADSL through the bitstream offering from Eircom. Is this right?

Will they be releasing at the same time as Eircom, in 3 weeks, or will it be some time after.

Also any news what prices they are going to produce. Hopefully more reasonable than Eircoms.

Dangger, I believe that you are meeting with NevadaTele on Friday. What will you be discussing? Hope you have some luck with them regarding ADSL and reasonable pricing.

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Yes I intend to cover this. The primary reason for the meeting was that we had not met with NevadaTele yet and Les Harris is on the panel of the national Digital Media conference with me. We tried to meet up before Christmas but had to cancel.

I will of course ask about their ADSL offering rest assured.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We've a professional business relationship with Nevada (in fact ?Boards.ie is hosted there too!) and I'm meeting some of their top sales people tomorrow so I'll enquire.
    Dunno if they can tell me anything but cant hurt to ask.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by sikes
    These two have applied to offer ADSL through the bitstream offering from Eircom. Is this right?

Will they be releasing at the same time as Eircom, in 3 weeks, or will it be some time after.

Also any news what prices they are going to produce. Hopefully more reasonable than Eircoms.

Regards

I phoned ESAT today and the lady who answered the call said that she had just received a memo and she read it to me:
    Basically Esat will make some announcement as soon as Eircom start their service and that anyone who contacts sales is advised to visit their site on a regular basis.

thats good news. I think i will wait a month or two before getting dsl. Fingers crossed esat will do a nice deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'm sure this has been covered a MILLION times already, but i somehow missed it,
    if 3rd party operators are providing their own bandwidth / connections, do they still have to pass on the download caps, or is the cap an eircom-only thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sticky

The third party operators would use their own connections to the net so they can set their own caps regardless of what Eircom do... let's hope they set them high or have an reasonable unlimited plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Igy
    do they still have to pass on the download caps, or is the cap an eircom-only thing?
    There are no caps for them to pass on - the wholesale service that Eircom provides them is flat-rate 49 or 79 euro a month which covers a connection from the customer to a point slightly upstream of the exchange. The ISP is responsible for the connection from this point on, and it's at this point that Eircom, as an ISP, starts teasing users with caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

DeV.
    [If you see this before Tomorrow]

If poss. Will you emphasise the residential aspect with them- (they're very much business oriented in their advertising at least)
    The sorta "When, Where, If" type questions.

Also do they have plans for a Friaco based product.

Graciás :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Originally posted by longword

The ISP is responsible for the connection from this point on, and it's at this point that Eircom, as an ISP, starts teasing users with caps.
    Perhaps i'm being too optimistic in hoping that esat will be really nice, but then, they DID launch SNL didn't they?
    So there's still hope :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

hold on for a bit.... hints suggest that the esat offering will not contain caps.... of course, this may change entirely... :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Talk to them and they agreed that they have applied for an OLO agreement but had nothing concrete on release dates or specs. They both looked a tad uncomfortable when I asked :)
    but they also had a conspiratorial look on their faces :)

I got the feeling they like undercutting Eircom.

Didnt ask about home usage but I doubt I'm going to change corporate policy with a question :)

They said they were researching the market and would let me know asap.

Also I knocked on my Eircom business account managers door (metaphorically) and asked about ADSL. She said 14th of May they will take orders and on the 7th she'd get the documentation and would pass it on to me.

DeVore.

Originally posted by Igy

Perhaps i'm being too optimistic in hoping that esat will be really nice, but then, they DID launch SNL didn't they?
    So there's still hope :)

SNL is one reason why I will never deal with Esat again ... I have decided to go with Eircom even though I am not happy with their prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If they offered DSL with no cap i would justify the price in savings off Kazaa ..LOL
    That would swing me instantly in their direction.
    Even if it was the same price .
    kdja

Originally posted by DeVore

Also I knocked on my Eircom business account managers door (metaphorically) and asked about ADSL. She said 14th of May they will take orders and on the 7th she'd get the documentation and would pass it on to me.

DeVore.

I got a letter yesterday and they took my order today so what are they sending you on May 7? I am asking because I am now wondering if my order has really been accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

Presumably "researching the market" includes reading the IOFL stuff... right? :)

Originally posted by DeVore
    Talk to them and they agreed that they have applied for an OLO agreement but had nothing concrete on release dates or specs. They both looked a tad uncomfortable when I asked :)
    but they also had a conspiratorial look on their faces :)
    I got the feeling they like undercutting Eircom.
    DeVore.

Sounds mildly encouraging :)

I wonder do they have the stomach and Cash to roll-out "residential" DSL though. They've never been a "cash-rich" Company even in the good times and they'd need that if they want to compete with Eircom in that sector.

I suspect that they will prolly try to carve out a niche in the corporate sector- If the perfromance of boards.ie on their servers are anything to go by then they'll do well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TitanFire

I'm actually really optimistic about Esat. I feel that since BT are pushing Esat to start making money. In my opinion, the only way they'll do that, is by undermining Eircom's prices. Thus I think the price will be less and perhaps... *perhaps*... no caps!?

Well, that's just me being optimistic. But I think it's semi-realistic! By the by, I'm in Sligo. Any word of when it'll become ADSL enabled?

Responses welcomed :)

Maybe you should read what Esat's Chief in Ireland had to say in the Irish times today...
    Heres a thread related to it:
    http://troll.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49591

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TitanFire

Thanks for the link...

Okay... it's not ALL bad, is it?

I mean, take the following:
    However, top of Mr Murphy's agenda will be deciding what do do with Esat's heavily loss-making residential business, which serves less than 100,000 people. There is less clarity on strategy and the hard decisions will be taken after a review of Esat business.

In my opinion, if you want to win over more customers, you could entice them into it by, maybe, offering cheaper ADSL if you're an Esat Telephone subscriber... I really dont think that 100,000 will go up by charging MORE than Eircom... will it?
    "We are a serious financially viable competitor to Eircom. We are different from the rest of Europe. We have good marketability and a good network. The question is how do we leverage that, and where do we put our money and investment. . . There is a lot of brand equity in the Esat name for the SME and consumer end of the market."

Yeah, that has to be taken to be a good thing.. BT are huge. Look at what they've done with DSL in the UK. I think they have much more experience with it and with competition than Eircom... Well, Eircom have... 0 experience there! I believe that will work to BT/Esat's advantage. They know how to get people connected...

Anyway, enough of that.
    Let me know what you think...

• Advertisement

Esat have been (attempting to at least) sticking it to Eircom for the last 4/5 years and its got it nowwhere except head forth into a mountain of debt.

I dont know how up to speed you are with BT's plans's for its European Subsidiaries, but they issued an ultimatum to Esat to make a profit by next Spring or it will pull the plug on the hole thing. This thread discusses it...http://troll.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47991&highlight=2003+esat

Put it this way, while I would like to have confidence in their plans, they are a preverbial lame duck. BT, did exactly in the UK what Eircom are doing in Ireland and they frankly know they are in a "lose-lose" situation.

(This of course is all subject to legislative change, and this situation may change- but in the immediate future the above stands :()

David/80p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I gotta say, I like the cut of the new Esat's CEO's gib so far. He sounds like a slash and burn merchant, and that's exactly what Esat needed -- I've heard some right horror stories from current and ex Esat Fusion/Clear/WTCTW employees. Awful stuff. If he slices out the baggage, he could nearly make the vomit-comet fly.

Too... many... metaphors...

adam

In terms of Business Management I would classify him as a "stripper"(in the biz sense!) as opposed to a "Trouble Shooter". At least he seems to have some bite to him compared to the existing bunch-

BTW, I heard the Esat horror stories from Dave L. over the phone the other day ;) So anything must be better !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

In terms of Business Management I would classify him as a "stripper"(in the biz sense!)

I'm not really sure there's anything worth stripping in Esat, 80p. The ISP's are worth jack in the current market, and whatever about Oceanfree, IOL is still held together with duct tape and string by all accounts. With the way things are going, he might be better off holding on to them -- there's a fair chance of the ISP business kicking in again soon anyway. I can't see /anyone/ showing any interest in the residential telephone section, and he can't sell off Esat Business, so what's left? I guess he could get a few quid for ACT? :)

If I was him I'd be driving consolidation of the ISP's harder; larting the ODTR over CPS, FRIACO, etc; and stepping up low-level marketing. And sacking the slackers of course. But of course I'm not him, am I?

adam

Agreed there's not much to strip in terms of assets, but there's alot to strip in terms of liabilities.

Namely:
    -The wage bill from overstaffing
    -18,000 no Limits Leeches (myself included:p)
    -A marketing bill that must infinitley exceed its turnover/sales

In terms of the ISP's, they will only get a boost if FRIACO is introduced (relative to what I said above about how legislative change could alter my forecast). But, as we've discussed ad nauseum on the list, WTF are they doing about complaining to the ODTR about it !!??

BTW, I'd say ACT has a bit of avlue in him yet. I mean Eircom could employ him, afterall he's a great man for if you need to break some bad news to the public !!

Anything about residential package or prices/caps.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I have not had a chance to clear information on the meeting with Nevada yet, but it was a very worthwhile meeting. Nevada could be our white knight! I will do my best to the report cleared and released.

From the meeting though it is clear that Nevada are not in the business of offering services to consumers. The important aspect of their business however is that they are a licensed telco operator putting in place a network for use by other businesses.

For example in the North, UTV Internet operate over Nevada's network. It is important that Nevada can offer a full suite of wholesale products to its network users like virtual ISP's (ISP's operating over someone else's fully managed network). We undertand that UTV Internet are interested in setting up in the South. It follow that Nevada would like to be able to facilitate UTV's move South.

thanks m8.

Regards

Advertisement