Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all Mobile Users!

• 24-04-2002 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi guys,

wondering if ye would take part in a little market research.

I'm currently developing for the Irish market a product which ye might be interested in.

Question is, would you use it?

Heres how it is,

Its a wall mounted, coin operated, secure mobile phone charger.
    I hope to install in pubs, clubs etc.

Heres how it works,

Stick in a Euro
    One of the 4 ports will swing open
    Jack in your phone (all major makes and models supported)
    Enter a 4 digit code (for ease of memory, your pin code)
    Close port and go have a drink
    Come back in 10 minutes and enter code again to retrieve phone
    The rapid charge should supply 6 hours standby

So........ think it would be handy in the pub on a friday evening???

Terrible pic below

Thoughts would be appreciated
    Thanks
    PJ
    086 8623192

charger.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

i dont know if I would use it or not, putting your phone into a device, and inputing your phones pin seems a little dodgy. If it did take off you would need more than just one device in a pub.....you'd need dozens

Also the price is a little low €1 for a 10 minute burst of power. Would that be enough for you to recover your costs, give the pub it's cut, pay for the power, and return a profit ?

interesting idea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i thinks its a good idea..... i've lost count the amount of times my battery has died during an important call (or sending txt msg)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh how long does it take to charge? this sounds like a load of crap to me sorry.. again entering your pin number into a michine like this.. sounds like cloning to me!

and eh what happens if your machine breaks down and still has your phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i think this would be a good idea , however i think coleges and bus and train stations would appreciate it more .excellent idea though , a phone with credit in it but with a dead battery is the worst thing , its so annoying so well done and good luck with your idea !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't *have* to input your pin, he was just using that as an example of an easy one to remember. I wouldn't use it, simply beacuse I plug my phone in every night, and have unintentionally run out of power maybe 3 times in 2 years.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

but if ya use your phone for calls a few times in the day then the battery goes down fairly fast. on a normal charge i would expect my phone to last nearly 3 days. but i used my phone to make a few calls and depending on the lenght of the calls then i might have fu<k all power left in my phone.....

i think its a good idea, especially in train/bus stations like OLDYELLAR said....

not sure if i'd use it in clubs/pubs.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

This isn't possible, as far as I make out...

Firstly, each phone has a different charging control system - some are controlled using timers in the "plugtop" adapter, most use the phone itself.

Secondly, they use a variety of voltages - anything from 3v to 7v, from what I've seen - and there's no definite association between plug types and voltages/polarities either.

Thirdly, the maximum safe charging current differs from battery to battery, especially if your phone can take different battery technologies (for example Li-Ion, NiMh, etc.)

Fourthly, have you considered a defense against the "your contraption destroyed my phone" brigade?

Finally - can you imagine anyone being able to operate this (or for that matter remember the PIN) if they've got alcohol in them?

Actually, it looks like a prime target for thieves, especially with transparent covers...

Just my 2c...
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well i would use it.
    ive been in that boat and it is a great idea if you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

A good idea, although inspector gadget does make some valid points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

interesting idea, but I wouldn't go for it.
    Wouldn't leave my phone unguarded (with or without pin). don't like the whole PIN idea, what happens if you forget it?

Inspector Gadget brings up some interesting voltage points. I wouldn't want people touching my phone, or playing with it or whatever. Just don't like the whole unguarded thing, but I'm super-paranoid I suppose.

How many different types of phones are out there each with different charge connectors for one thing.. i know its been said but even among manufacturers.. different models have different connectors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Bit of a stupid idea if you ask me, the reason y must most folks phones are low on battery is because they don`t know how to charge them. As in my girlfriend for instance who will charge her phone for an hour then complain about in running out in 5 mins, then charge it for a day and it will last f>uck all lenght. A better idea would be one that everyone puts in there mobile phones into a big bin once inside a pub so that they all don`t twitch and fidget once they here a nokia beep, and don`t sit around a table playing snake when there`s valuable drinking time wasted + u look like a bunch of geeks.

Pubs are for boozing remember!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Dont know if it would work , but its definatly a good idea so dont
    let people put it down , if you can make it work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

i'm getting the new nokia phone with 430hrs stand by time

just what i need for when i go drinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

certainly an interesting idea, my phone quite frequently lets me down while out on the town (possibly due too my conpulsive need to ring ppl when i'm drunk!), but i be rather wary for the reason's already outlined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I think its a great idea personally, I know id use it if i was out and running low, but there are a lot of technical, legal and economic problems which need to be sorted.

I wish you luck on sorting them out, great idea.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

PJ I think you'll be wasting your time to honest, I don't think it will be used enough for it to be worth your while, plus they'll be used even less and less as battery durations last longer as time goes on. Also you can get emergency chargers now in the form of small keyrings that use normal batteries, more and more people will be carrying these as they become popular, they only cost about 10 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by Blade
    Also you can get emergency chargers now in the form of small keyrings that use normal batteries, more and more people will be carrying these as they become popular, they only cost about 10 quid.
    Yeah, but as far as I can see they're only available for Nokia handsets, and they require a PP3 battery to give you 9 hours standby / 1 hour talktime - to be honest PJ's device sounds much cheaper!

Gadget

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Originally posted by Inspector Gadget

Yeah, but as far as I can see they're only available for Nokia handsets, and they require a PP3 battery to give you 9 hours standby / 1 hour talktime - to be honest PJ's device sounds much cheaper!

Gadget

Nah, you can get them for any phone, my brother has one for his Ericsson. Your probably right about his device being cheaper my G/F just bought a 9v battery for hers and it cost her 6 Euros! Though you could use rechargeable batteries, they'd be cheaper.

Anyway with any investment like that you have to think of the future, you want a business thats going to grow but this idea I can see going in the opposite direction. Thats just my opinion anyway....

• Advertisement
Advertisement