Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT announce capped retail product.

Options
  • 24-04-2002 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Recently BT slashed its wholesale price for adsl to UK14.99 or thereabouts.

It has followed up Today with a retail product.

1. It IS capped, to 1Gb a day or 30Gb a month unlike our 3Gb.
    2. It costs a whopping UK27 a month.
    3. It will come with a connection charge of UK60 .

BT consider this to be a mass market product.

I feel sorry for them over there so I do.

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

that cap is totally reasonable, pay attention eircon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Just for a basis of comparison, the equivalent of BT's service on Eircom's pricing plans would cost you €1,111.31 on Solo, or €1060.30 on Multi, or €204.49 on Enhanced.

So, being fair and taking VAT out of the equation (17.5% there vs. 21% here) you've a choice of being ripped off to the tune of 2,438%, 2,326%, or a mere 448%

BT are offering (presumably USB) modems for £80 and the connection charge is just £60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

to be fair to the 448% figure there, you are getting double the speed, prehaps that would be 225% ..... still outrageously high of course. The whole 3gb cap / 30gb cap thing just shows plainly that eircom are ten times more greedy then everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Coyote

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/25010.html

The entry level service - which looks likely to ration usage to 1 Gb a day - will cost £27 a month and is due to be launched in the autumn following a trial in the summer.

BT will also provide a modem and micro-filters for £80, although these can be obtained elsewhere. There is also a one-off connection charge of £60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I think 1Gb a day is totally unreasonable for a 512k line, you would have to have it going flat out no holds barred for 4 hours a day or so.

Think of the electricity bill and the capacity problems the ESB would have keeping all those computers running for 4 full hours a day ...each.

Then think of the national interest!

Fortunately we have some nice banker types from NY (who now own Eircom) to interpret the national interest for us. Thats good because it is yet another reason why we don't need Mary O'Rourke any more.

M

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Think of the children!

heh

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

one line for Daddy and one for the children.

£54 a month

thats €90 euros and 2Gb a day in DA house

I am a considerate parent methinks.

M

Advertisement