Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy new PC

• 24-04-2002 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi Guyz. Maybe some one can help me. Just split up with my girlfriend and she owns the damn PC. I now need to buy a new PC. I visited the Dell site but the kind of PC I want (top of the range, 2 GIG GF4 etc.) is gonna cost like EUR 3,000. Anyone know where I can get a better deal. I could have a go at building one but would it be worthwhile and would it take much work? Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah id say you should build one its not hard at all.

But stay aeay from pentiums build or buy an athlon system, pref and xp athlon, wip any p4 any way, unless you are doing a lot of video compression, but for gaminf get an athlon.

Del give a lot of people the run around, time build cheaper systems but they can take to 3 weeks to deliver, pity gateway are gone they were alyways good on both fronts and competitive as well.

You sould try to get one of those irish made Iqon systems they are vrey good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Build your own.. Get the parts from places like Peats or maplin etc.. probably cheaper places too.. if you need instructions.. your man PCIRL.com has a website... www.pcirl.com i think.. anyway has some tips and instructions there i think.. but its piss easy.. lego is harder to put together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

id seriously condiser getting a pentium 4 if u have any plans to overclock

the northwoods are like the old celerons - 1.6's @ 2.2 with stock cooling loike !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

normally id build my own but in the dell business mag.
    this month , i saw a 1.9 with the usual gforce2 two
    for 1099xvat . if you can get someone in a company
    to buy it for you it might be worth considering if you
    dont want to build

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Ive never bought a PC at all. Ive built all mine from scratch. Works out a hell of a lot cheaper. If you are interested, check out the special Komplett are doing at the moment. You just have to order a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

To tell you the truth it doesen`t work out "a hell of a lot cheaper" but you get a far higher quality. Also if you have a version of Windows you can use it(i think) and that shaves off €200 also you may already have some parts which also shave of a little bit... and yeah it`s pretty easy to build as long as you have all info about parts as in which are compatabile etc.
    best of luck and if you are building, document your work and i may even post it up on my [plug] SITE [/plug]...
    Anyway the best of luck to u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Build it yourself. you cn get cheaper parts from spain and france etc. some of the placs inIreland tend to sell pc parts expensive but you should find a good deal on the web:

(Geforce 4 MMX 420: E170 in peats, E130 from creative.com).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I would avoid that ge force 4 mx card though. Get a normal geforce 2 card and ot would be better and more supported. John Carmack said his new games wont touch the gefogre4 mx card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

another thing about building your own is that u dont need to get everything all at once - spreading out the cost a bit - i used my old tnt2 for 4 months with my new 1.4t-bird till i got a gf3 and im still using the old keyboard and monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Either Build it yourself or go to somewhere like Beyond2000 down on Chatham Row,
    bomb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

If you build your own you have to be sure stuff is compatible, sort out different lengths of warranty on support on your own with little help from from individual vendors - if your capable this is the best method for a great machine.

On the other hand if you dont want all the hassle I would go to dell or any OEM company - but remember they support so much, have long ques for support etc.....

The choice is yours.

Advertisement