Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing?

Options
  • 24-04-2002 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

How feasible would it be to sign up to the unlimited plan (or whatever it's called) and pipe it out to people near your over some other medium (802.11, LAN)?

Is this covered by Eircom's terms?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Sticky
    How feasible would it be to sign up to the unlimited plan (or whatever it's called) and pipe it out to people near your over some other medium (802.11, LAN)?

Is this covered by Eircom's terms?
    Whilst I haven't seen their T&Cs I can pretty much guarantee you it will be banned. Technically it's easy to implement. Within a household you'll probably be OK, but beyond that you're SOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

Not mentioned in my T&C and id imagine that they really cant, as that package is designed to be shared, they cant really say with who and where, they can only put a limit on the numbers which their only way of inforcing is through the modem because the ehternet model only has a four port switch. As you know this is easy to get around.

for How feasible it would be, its very easy are reliable, and infact id incourage you to do it, It i had afew people in my locality Id be doing it.

When ever big companies try to rip off the small fella people find away around it. It would make adsl more affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

This ethernet thing that has four ports, that means if you sign up for the unlimited package, up to four comps in the one place can connect to this thing and thus to the adsl connection, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by Sticky
    How feasible would it be to sign up to the unlimited plan...

I imagine you're gonna need to be an Eircom business customer to sign up for the multi/enhanced i-stream products.

Solo is the only product "designed" for residential customers.

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

Originally posted by viking

I imagine you're gonna need to be an Eircom business customer to sign up for the multi/enhanced i-stream products.

Solo is the only product "designed" for residential customers.

viking

bolox, its all geared towards business users
    This ethernet thing that has four ports, that means if you sign up for the unlimited package, up to four comps in the one place can connect to this thing and thus to the adsl connection, right?

Up to four within the T&C but you can connect many many more with additional equipment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Surely one will be able to use internet connection sharing..or some similar protocol?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

afaik (i had a quick read of some of their t&c, cant remember where) you can't resell it, no word of "sharing".

anyway, you could probably argue that you were only sharing it to 4 devices, which were in turn communicating with other devices... its all so vague really when it comes to networks.

i hate posting this speculative crap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Look at it like your TV cable. Many people have the cable split and going to two or more TV's in the house. However, if NTL come out and see you, they will charge for the others and install them properly (the more connections you add to one line, the worse your reception gets). Same for i-stream solo. If you connect it to your LAN, chances are eircom will charge you more if they find out (and that will be written in the TOS). Supplying to your neighbourhood brings you into the realm of being a telco, and the Government will get involved.

:)

Advertisement