Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me pick a new video card.

• 26-05-2001 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Disregarding price(they are all similar anyway) which of the following cards would be best for gaming, mostly HL mods and tribes etc.Feel free to tell me what my new fps would be with said card too smile.gif.
    For what its worth,my tother specs are p3 600 and 128 mb RAM.

1)32Mb ASUS V7100 AGP Ge-Force-II MX Dual Head

2)32Mb Chaintech GeForce II Mx-200 w/o TV Out

3)32Mb Gigabyte GeForce II Mx No TV Out

4)32Mb Guillimot 3D Prophet II 3D MX GeForce-2 MX

5)32Mb ATI Radeon DDR AGP without TV Out

6)32Mb ATI Radeon VE DDR

7)32Mb Matrox G450 DDR Dual Head

8)32Mb Asus AGP V6800-GE Force Std (DDR)

Thanks smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

geforce 1 DDR will give you the fastest game performance of all those cards, for that reason, id buy #8

radeon DDR is supposed to be slightly faster at 32bit colour at really high res(around 1280*960 and above), but i wouldnt play in 32 bit colour at really high res with ANY of those cards, as the fps would be too low, so if youre buying the card for FPS, youre probably best off with #8

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 26-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭[fist]Pi$$er

If you can afford any of those cards dont go near an MX with a barge pole, other then that I Dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

64mb hercules prophet kryo II 4500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteLancer:
    64mb hercules prophet kryo II 4500</font>
    for some reason afew hardware place like ocuk seem to be replaceing their geforce 2 mx cards with these, what are tehy like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Never ever EVER EVER buy a GeForce 2MX 200. It's crippled like bejesus... and it's only 10-20 pounds cheaper than an MX400.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    Originally posted by WhiteLancer:
    64mb hercules prophet kryo II 4500

for some reason afew hardware place like ocuk seem to be replaceing their geforce 2 mx cards with these, what are tehy like?

</font>

Drivers are shakey,
    but,
    most people are buying them to do them until gf3 becomes affordable.
    There average performance is almost gf2 pro level and sometimes it beats gf2 ultra.
    All for £150 irish or so. Not bad at all.

[This message has been edited by WhiteLancer (edited 26-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Thx for replies guys.So do not go near #2 anyway.On the MX issue, why have I heard so many good things about the Prophet? Frm sites and games mags.I dunno.I had heard to go for a DDR rather than MX,maybe I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Merely a suggestion, but the Kyro 2 should be appearing soon, give that a looksee wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭cueball

Is a 32mb geforce 2 GTS anygood?

i got a 64mb rage fury maxx but dont be fooled by the ram, its ****e smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I dunno why people are buying mx cards in their droves, (apart from convenience) they are grand if you play in 800 * 600, but a radeon ddr or a geforce ddr is much better if you want decent fps at high res. A geforce2 gts is better again, and these are now reasonably priced. Sure they cost a bit more than the mx, but they are up to twice as fast.

Having said all this, I think an mx is grand for a slightly older machine like yours bugler, but I can't stand people splashing out on a new machine with all the bells and whistles, and an mx, which just holds back the performance of the entire system.
    For example, my p3 1 gigahertz, with a gts, gets about 35% higher score in 3dmark2000, than an athlon 1333 with an mx.

If you are going to be playing games in high res at 32 bit colour, stay away from the mx. Get anything else, be it a radeon, geforce ddr, geforce gts, or a kyro II (prophet 4500)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'd go for the prophet 4500, I'm not sure exactly how much slower the 4000 is, but it uses the older kyro I chip, as opposed to the kyro II on the 4500, and the 4500 has greater compatibility also. I haven't heard any reports of how the kyro II performs in cs, so you might want to do some google searching first. I'd say it will be up at the 99fps mark ok, but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Thx for the advice.As I was just browsing overclockers,I cam across this card:
    Hercules 3D Prophet 4000 32MB - OEM
    The new Hercules 3D Prophet 4000 features the new Kyro 4000 chipset and provides new standards of performance and value at this price level.
    - Kyro 4000 chipset
    - 32MB SDR RAM
    - 1280X1024 Up to 120 Hz Refresh Rate
    - 1920X1440 Max Resolution Up to 60 Hz Refresh Rate @ a very impressive price.Is it ok?!

I don't mind running at 800 x 600 tbh Gerry, I'd just like to hit somewhere near max fps in CS(thats 99), whatever the res smile.gif.

Advertisement