Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie V Work... Any Comments?

• 25-04-2002 9:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

just was wondering, does every one else here log on to boards.ie to post msgs or start threads instead of doing work....

since i was introduced to Boards.ie last month my work rate has dropped... :eek:

i now would rather post up a few jokes or comment on something than figure out a problem or do work.... :D

its much more fun to be here :D

well better get back to work :(

ha ha... who am i kidding, i'll be back in 5min :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

As a dedicated and motivated internet cafe technician, it's actually part of my job to read the boards. I trawl through hundreds of posts a day, making sure that the boards are fully compatible with the latest versions of various browsers.

The things I do for my job, eh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Well mostly post from college, but on weekends i work in a cyber café so i have nothing better to do than surf :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It originally used to be a part of my job to read boards.ie on a daily basis.

Now I don't get paid and have no excuse.

I would like to see the boards.ie homepage come with a productivity warning actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i'm posting from college also.....

but i should be doing work......

dont get me wrong, i am doing my work, its just that i keep coming back to boards.ie and checking out replies to posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Same here, i sit infront of boards.ie everyday waiting for the asterisk to appear on the menus so i know there has been a new post. We should start a board called "Wasters" and we can all just post there during the day instead of cloggin up After hours

Bomb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I work in a recruitment office so things are a bit quiet at the moment - I don't feel that guilty about my internet usage. When it's busy though I try to stay away from reading/posting here cuz I will most likely end up doing less work tham I'm supposed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I'm on work placement..oh and there is the fact im a slack bastard ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Yeah i boards is addictive! known about boards for a year now but ever since i came to college all i seem to do is go on boards.

Relax sure tis better then work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by bombidol
    Same here, i sit infront of boards.ie everyday waiting for the asterisk to appear on the menus so i know there has been a new post

Ah ha! so thats what that asterix is for! i'm quick loik ;)

I mainly come here during work for a bit of a break every so often.....ok every 20mins or so, but i might just have a gander for any interesting posts on the 20 newest.

I also use the boards to find stuff out that help me at my work, as i did yesterday. So i'm not here just for the craic! :D

[edit] i couldnt type to save my life today :rolleyes: [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hell yeah.. in fact when i first got into boards i posted something like "Help boards is too aditctive" or something like that.. after a few replies and confirmations i was not alone in this thinking it was moderated i think by bonkey for being a complete waste of time.. probably was but true all the same!

I sit here at work and read the boards! I actually get paid for this.. (employer does not know this though).
    My productivity has not suffered though as i do very little here anyway so its only something in between intermittent bouts of work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's always a bad sign when your manager knows about boards.ie based solely on the amount of time he's seen it on your screen instead of doing the work he told you to do...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

I find easy not to log in, but once I do I can never get out. Provided I have enough work in the morning, I won't log in during the day...

But hey, it feels good to be there, so why not?

Today for me is conclusive proof that the Boards and work don't agree:D
    But hell I'm the boss here:D
    And I'm doing the paperwork today:eek:
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I've got two important college projects due up tomorrow (neither of which I have even started)

I've got a set of reports due up next Wednesday

And I've got exams in a few weeks

Here I am replying to this thread :p
    Boards 0wns my time here, for good or bad.
    QED

i'm glad its not just me with this prob....

ADDICTION !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I`m another college poster, so much better then doing stuff, yeah stuff sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Originally posted by Saruman
    Hell yeah.. in fact when i first got into boards i posted something like "Help boards is too aditctive" or something like that.. after a few replies and confirmations i was not alone in this thinking it was moderated i think by bonkey for being a complete waste of time.. probably was but true all the same!

That was me, not bonkey...I maybe a little more harsh than other mods but it keeps things running smoothly for the most part...

Have to agree tho, they are highly addictive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I am supposed to be writing x86 assembly language at the moment... Ho hum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Monty - the one and only
    I maybe a little more harsh than other mods

should i laugh? i don't know it could have nasty consequences... ;)

meanwhile i just finished an exam in unix, i did no study and up till about 1 min b4 it started i was here :)

/did alrite btw, trusting lecturer let us have a telnet window open :rolleyes:
    cd /
    cd users/staff/[lecturer name]
    vi tutorial_four.htm LMAO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I'm posting from college too, when I get totally stuck on a project or whatever I'm doing I log in for a few minutes and that usually provides a good break. Unfortunately, I usually spend a lot longer that the few minutes planned on the boards and end up getting no work done!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh yeah Monty.. thats right it was.. There was a lot of moderation at that time.. i still remember the Horndog fiasco.. he came back as Horndog2, horndog3 etc.. ah the memories!

Sorry to Bonkey then lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Quite frequently I come home from work, log on to the net, get me e-mail, read up on theregister and then say I'll just do a quick browse of the boards and then logoff about 4 hours later.

Boards.ie - powered by crack cocaine

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You know the IT recession currently on... You think its coincidence? :cool:

If you find it addictive, DONT install the ticker tape applet
    (instructions in a Sticky thread on Admin). You'll never stop reading boards then!

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DeVore
    instructions in a Sticky thread on Admin
    DeVore, the crack dealing BOFH. :)

Hmm DeVore you know you could be responsible in some way for the whole recession! Boards is just that addictive!

:D so the reason for the irish down turn is boards.ie :D ha ha

thats great, i'm guessing that a lot of people here are like me and study/work in the IT industry. how about if we all stop using boards.ie and try to get our country out of the red its in now...

ya right, that will never happen :p i think i'll leave that up to FF or FG or which which ever muppet party will be in office next....

Resistance Is Futile! We Own Your Lives....

Ok, Cloud and I have been playing with this all lunchtime. It is going to crash the economy but who cares.

This is hard to explain so just try it and revel in its utter leetness. Or dont and have a career.

that was a quote taken from here , posted by Dev, it proves that Boards.ie is after world domination.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by bombidol
    We should start a board called "Wasters" and we can all just post there during the day instead of cloggin up After hours

Bomb

It exists. It's called IRC, and before I lost my net connection in work, it was responsible for about 50% of my dropped calls. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

/me stares at the lsit of projects to be handed in by next week :(

Then again im a lazy bastid, and would rather read my usual forums, sites than do any work.

Damn you Internet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I get to work and instead of running around and doing what I should be doing, I sit down and log in then 3 hrs later I have to catch up with what I should have been doing! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i should be doing Java right about now :)

adnans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Samba
    could we start a treatment programme.......
    Yes, lets set up an internet addiction board! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i come to the colege library most days with the intention of studying , but now all i do is read and reply to the threads on boards . its just so addictive and when your off it your always wondering if you got a reply . my mother hates it because i block up our telephone line with it every night , its great !

i have found a site that will help everyone

just click HERE

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

heh,
    I know its addictive, but who said we wanted to kick the addiction...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by Kharn
    It's always a bad sign when your manager knows about boards.ie based solely on the amount of time he's seen it on your screen instead of doing the work he told you to do...:(

I didn't need to see you on boards to know Dav I knew before you started working here :)

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lazer

i find my self coming back here every day. its not that i want to you understand, i sometimes dont particulary like boards.ie.. i guess its a little addiction?
    i work in a cyber cafe and i am a multimeda student so i am online 24/7
    im just bored of the net..this and email is all i do?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by lazer
    i find my self coming back here every day. its not that i want to you understand, i sometimes dont particulary like boards.ie.. i guess its a little addiction?
    i work in a cyber cafe and i am a multimeda student so i am online 24/7
    im just bored of the net..this and email is all i do?

:confused:

Gah...can we switch lives then?? I waste so much time in the lab on the boards, but then all net access is gone in the eves :(. (Of course if we switch lives, we can keep our respective sexualities, thanks)

:D

Originally posted by Monty - the one and only
    I know its addictive, but who said we wanted to kick the addiction...;)

I'm not addicted i just dont want to stop...
    i could stop if i wanted to....
    but that would be too easy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Well I do most of my boards'ing from work- in my line of work, i can easily do my job and read the boards at the same time - atm im explaining some peon on the fone how to set his internet conenctions to "never dial a conenction" i might be a bit more productive if i stoppped but its not affecting my job as such.

handy

• Advertisement

Sigh... another day at the Boards... another day wasted at work

Advertisement