Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCSI question

• 18-05-2001 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

I'm adding a second SCSI HD to a dual PIII with a single SCSI controller. The SCSI cable has 68 pin male connectors on it and the new HD has 80 pin female (SCA). I have seen adapters for this but I have been told by someone that this will not work. They are saying that the controller supports SCSI 1 and the new HD is SCSI 2. Does anyone know if this is true.
    Danke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Anyone got any ideas?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

No I think their wrong there anyway because SCSI 2 is 50 pin and SCSI 3 is 68 pin, I dunno what the hell SCSI 1 is, it's too old to worry about. Now this 80 pin female HD you say is SCA I don't know about because the SCSI 3 SCA drives I have here aren't like normal connectors with normal pins at all, are you sure it is actually SCA? Anyway sounds to me that it will work with an adapter because your controller is SCSI 3 and is backwards compatible from SCSI 3 to 2 and 1 and from SCA SCSI 3 to 2 and 1 (with an adapter) and if they make adapters for it whatever your drive is, its bound to work.

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 22-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Thanks for the info. It sounds wrong to me as well. The SCA drives have an 80 pin female IO connector. Do the SCA drives you work with plug into a backplane or cable?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

They do yeh, but I just have the drives here, their not actually in a PC, I got a batch of them cheap last year cause nobody wanted them. I never bothered doing anything with them though I know their SCSI 3 SCA and I could make them work with an adapter from my SCSI 3 controller. You might be able to pick an adapter up (at a rediculous price) in peats and you can always bring it back and say it doesn't work if things go wrong.

Well I got the adaptor and it doesn't seem to work. I'm not familiar with putting in 2 scsi drives. I set the ID to 0 on the SCA drive and it doesn't recognize it. It does fine when I disconnect it from the cable and reboot with just the one drive. I realized that there are two types of 80-68pin adaptor. One is LVD and one is IDC. I'm not sure what the difference is and if its the problem here or not.
    Don't want to have to go to the owner and tell her to have to buy a new SCSI drive.

Anyone got any ideas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

Are each of the hard drives detected by the scsi controller if they are attached seperatly? If they do and you can verify them from the controller bios then the problem is conflicting SCSI id's.
    Also check where the SCSI bus is being terminated. The SCA adapter might be terminating the bus before the second HD, thus preventing it from being seen by the controller.

I don't think its because of conflicting SCSI ID's because it doesn't recognize the SCA even if I take the other drive out of the chain. How do you know if its terminated?

Advertisement