Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know why interviewers always ask....

• 25-04-2002 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Can any one advise me..

at interviews, the interviewers always seem to ask, how much do you expect to be paid etc etc, what salary are you looking for this position....you know the story

are you better to be honest aadn say the going rate eg 2 years exp in web design 27-29k or instead say oh 20-21k (euro) would be fine, cos you think you might get the job better that way...

all advice would be helpful...

ps .........does any one know when the IT market will pick up again, so I can get outa this sales job and back to what I love ??????

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I think it wise to always ask for a more than you are likely to get. OK sometimes the interviewer will laugh at you or say it's unrealistic but in general aiming high and appearing to have a lot of confidence in your abilities makes a good impression anyway.

As for the IT market, the recruitment agency I work for closed down their IT department in January as we weren't getting any positions at all. Recently it's seems to be picking up a bit again but imo it looks like it's going to be a slow recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Went for a job at Compaq a while ago.. seemed like a cool job too.. they asked me how much i expected to be paid and i said truthfully as long as its no less than im on now! They asked would i be willing to drop down to say £16-17k well i stopped short of laughing in their face and they said the would be in touch!! Thats not worth it.. No way i was dropping a few grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shanedevane

I'd have to say it depends on how desperate you are,

if you good enough, then after about three months you can pretty much demand what you want, which is typically the way I tend to go.

If I was employing someone I would prefer (finances willing) to hire the person who was confident and who was looking for a higher salary then the person who says that they what ever the salary is is fine.

Besides, I think that if you haven't walked out on an interview immediately after finding out about a low salary, you haven't lived!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I usually say what im earning now plus abit and then say that Im
    looking for a slight increase

Guy ..how much do you expect to be paid ?
    me .. Well at the moment im earning (18000 plus a bit) around
    20500 yoyos .so id would be looking for an slight increase
    on that.. but im open to discussion

its a ****ty question , but my logic is if i get the slight increase
    im sorted at least a couple of grand higher, if they say i can only
    get the 20500 ill still sorted , and if they say lower then they think there really lucky to get you so no hassle and then you
    can ask them can you have a review in 3/6 months ..

If they dont call back , well i never liked them anyway, they
    probably all smell and look weird and staff parties at burgerking
    or something
    you get the picture..
    ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by Static M.e.
    I usually say what im earning now plus abit and then say that Im
    looking for a slight increase

Guy ..how much do you expect to be paid ?
    me .. Well at the moment im earning (18000 plus a bit) around
    20500 yoyos .so id would be looking for an slight increase
    on that.. but im open to discussion

I use exactly the same tactic and it works a treat.
    I did it in the interview for the job that I'm in now.
    I found out off the recruitment agency what they were offering and they told me they were offering from x to y... so I aimed for a figure right in the middle which happened to be only 2000 more than what i was on in the previous job. That way you didnt price yourself outta the job and didnt come across as greedy.

- They know what you were earning in ur last job.
    - If you add 1500 - 2000 onto it, its not being unreasonable
    - In a max of 6 months u usually get a review and if you prove
    youself to them in that period then you can come out with the
    arguement that they were willing to offer up to such an
    amount that they can pay you that plus some.. so ye end out
    walking out with more cause you werent being greedy at the
    start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

*Apparently* you should wait until they offer you the job, then name your price and let them negotiate down. They dont want to go to the trouble and expense of going through the recruitment procedure again - its quite expensive to find new staff ;)

Advertisement