Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best memory manufacturer?

• 27-05-2001 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Long time lurker, finally got around to registering smile.gif

Anyways, came into a birra money, so I'm looking to get a few sticks of pc133 ram. Question is, who is the best manufacturer of pc133 RAM (ie fasted, most stable)?

Actually, on that note, if anyone wants to recommend a big case for my new machine, go right ahead smile.gif

Thanks,
    lampsie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I hear that crucial are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ralthor

Agreed. I am using a 256meg stick of crcial 133 RAM. No complints here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Crucial is a brand of micron. Micron chips are pretty much the best. Crucial, and Corsair both use these chips. Corsair is priced higher, but I reckon the crucial modules are just as good. There are other makes as well, such as kingmax tinybga, which is technically superior to the chips micron make, but are not any faster in real world tests.
    You can get pc133 crucial from ocuk, tested to 150mhz at fastest settings (2-2-2), although most sticks will make that anyway. So it might be cheaper just to order from www.crucial.com .

As for a good case, maplin on jervis st have an excellent full tower case (order code is TT94) for around £55. Its not the fanciest case, but it has decent potential for cooling, and is easy to work with. If its slightly too large, get the enlight 7237, I know a few companies use these cases, but they are hard to get. Try itdirect on parliament st. This case is around £70, but is slightly higher quality, though it does use annoying drive rails. You could pay a lot more, and get a case from www.overclockers.co.uk either, they have the globalwin 802, which is a top notch case, or you could splash out on their more expensive models if you want a computer sounding like a hoover. Shipping a case from england will be expensive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Brilliant stuff, thanks guys smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Gerry, what about CAS and RAS, SDRAM precharge settings etc.???

What is teh precharge for? If i set ti wrong in the bios could I fry me ram?

lampsie get CAS2 ram, dunno about RAS#

Cases for £55?
    how big are we talking? might get one....i need an ATX mobo too, and a celeron cpu to go with it. i have the rest of a system handy. Juat to play CS accross me lan u understand. Anyone wanna donate or exchange fora reasonable amount of cash? Or know of an office throwing out old stuff? Sound

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:
    Cases for £55?
    how big are we talking?
    </font>
    Erm, I have on and it's about two feet tall. It's a full tower system with plenty of room, particulary around the top (where the 5.25" drive bays are).
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:
    I might get one....i need an ATX mobo too, and a celeron cpu to go with it. i have the rest of a system handy.</font>
    Get a decent motherboard... no point in getting one with just a 100MHz FSB unless you want to stay Celeron. PIII prices have shot down lately.

That said, you're probably better of with a Duron/KT7A system, in terms of cost and future upgradeability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its a full tower case with 6 5 1/4 inch bays, so take the height of your average atx motherboard, add the height of 6 cd rom drives and you have the height of it.

When I was referring to fastest settings, cas, ras to cas, and ras precharge were what I was referring these to. Setting these to the lowest values possible will speed up your machine. Settings which are too fast won't damage your machine, they will just make it crash. So you just have to try different settings until you have it tweaked as much as possible while still keeping full stability.

I don't have any motherboards or cpu's at the moment, I do have some ram so if you need any give us a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

mushkin make some good ram

Advertisement