Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

would you report an accident

Options
  • 25-04-2002 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

in all honesty would you if you could get away with it , without anyone knowing.

i hit someones mirror once and i just drove off ?

there seems to be a problem posting a poll

• yeah , i'm honest 100%
    • nope , sure why would you ?
    • i don't havea car , and i dunno

would you report a minor accident 16 votes

yeah i would , i\'m honest
    0% 0 votes
    nope , sure why ? all that will happen is that your insurance will rocket
    56% 9 votes
    i don\'t have a car , so it doesn\'t effect me
    43% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

karma ,

i've started to believe in that stuff recently so i'd probably report it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on the extent.

I've hit a guy's wing mirror too (with my own), and barely scraped the side of a van once, but that's only minor, and I since had the same done to me - karma, man, karma.

If I lost it on a corner and smacked someone's car, or reversed straight into someone enough to cause, say, a large dent, I would leave them a note with my name + no., and see if I can settle it without the insurance co.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I put a scratch in a guy's bumper once (ratchet on my clutch was gone for the mechanically minded) and drove off without saying anything. It wasn't worth the hassle for a half-inch scratch and that's what the fe€king bumpers are there for anyway.

I've had major damage done to my car on three seperate occaisions outside my house, and the ****s just drove off (probably drunk).

I think it comes down to :

if(AMOUNT_GUILT >= AMOUNT_HASSLE)
    {
    ssshhh(dont_tell_anyone);
    }

The sad thing is a lot of people can live with guilt nowadays.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Well, that's not really an 'accident' is it?

I've had to walk up streets to find my wing mirrors on occasion.

I was in an accident there recently, guy at the scene managed to convince me it was my fault (Although I didn't admit liability to him) and I was preparing myself to pay for the horrendous damage to his car, and considerable damage to mine.
    I could see my insurance being the equivalent of the national debt.

I rang my insurance co to report it, there was an investigation, turns out he was totally, without a doubt, in the wrong, I get 1000 euro for the damages to my car and he gets zilch. Ha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I think it's a matter of honesty and guilt.

Taking in consideration that some people pays a fortunes for their cars, is not terrible when you go shopping, park your car safe, and then you come back to find somebodys door mark left on your car.

In my opinion every little or not little accident should be reported or at least leave a note explaining what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd report only something that involved a 3rd party if minor, otherwise I'd leave a note with my details, and pray that the owner was a reasonable sort.

Mike.

Advertisement