Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packard Bell iMEDIA

• 25-04-2002 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to fix a PB iMEDIA Machine for a friend, drivers are hard to come by. I`m gonna get a good luck at the board on Saturday, Here`s what i know:

VIA Chipset VTxxxxxx
    AMD 1.3
    64MB RAM
    Onboard Everything
    CNR Modem ( Got Drivers For This)

Machine came preinstalled with XP, bought in PC World in Dublin and is pretty s h i t e very slow, thinking of installing WIN2k on it.

Just really need the Video Card Drivers, here`s what i`ve tried:
    VIA 4 in 1
    SIS drivers

Anyone who has one of this machines, post here with any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Couldn`t find the driver for the graphics so i whipped in an old Rage II 8mb AGP Card and Win2k picked up the drivers straight away.

The machine takes at least 5 mins to boot and has 128mb pc133 Ram and an WD ata100 HDD, but the build quality is crap

Biohazard give me some helpful ideas on searching for drivers, cheers pal but it was a fruitless fu<k of a road/ Still you did sell me a Zip drive(top man)

Anyway i know the whole crowd have been waitin to see the end of this saga, such is the responce in posts (ahem)

PS. Don`t buy a Packard Bell iMedia there are utter crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Any idea of which via chipset it is yet? With a fresh install of 2k and the via 4 in 1's on it should be reasonably nippy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Forcing SIS drivers onto it may not help.
    Did you try the VIA KM133 graphics drivers from https://archive:archive@ranger.s3graphics.com/370drv/ ?

Brendan

Yeah i tried the sis drivers, no joy
    for the time being i`m just gonna leave the system as it is with the old graphics card and maybe re assess the situation in 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I had one PB machine back in 96 and would NEVER touch another one!!

As for XP, 128mb of ram is just about enough to run it.. but just enough.. i dont care what MS say the min spec is.. 128 for useability and if you want to do anything like open notepad.. add in another 128!! btw im only being a little sarcastic.. not far off the truth though!

• Advertisement

True and the cases are exactly "user friendly". I nearly had to take out the power supply just to get anwhere near the mobo, i suppose this is what the "non-enthusiast" gets for going to PC WORLD and the like, alos i think the PC stands for pure crap, not 2 sure tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...this machine will be as slow as Christmas as it'll be paging stuff in and out of swap (virtual memory) constantly. Get 256MB of RAM for it - it'll be like having a whole new computer.

Gadget

never heard of the expression "as slow as christmas"

always taught it was " as gay as christmas"

but there you go

Advertisement