Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

major complicated IRQ problem!

• 25-04-2002 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

1201EA compaq laptop
    Win 2000
    all critical updates,
    all drivers updated,

it's not a great piece of tech, but i didn't have to pay for it!
    so i might try and salvage something out of it...

The BIOS has no advanced options, no disable plug & play, no changing IRQ numbers...

Now
    all my pci devices are on the same IRQ number,
    trident cyberblade - i1 graphics
    soundmax audio
    card bus controller- (my ethernet card)
    usb host controller

as you can see graphics, sound and networking are on the same IRQ gives major problems...
    ....disabling acpi through win 2000 on my laptop will give the problem of never shutting down the laptop properly and it is not garaunteed to fix the conflict...and i cant change the IRQs through the device manager...

Compaq will not give me an advanced BIOS, i am also not willing to flash a new bios even if they say its my motherboard...(if i had to reset my bios it means opening up the laptop, reset the bios and then spring load my keyboard for a good 6 hrs)...compaq have been less than helpful as has googling the problem

I need to change these IRQs can any body help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

are there any free IRQ's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

IRQ's 5 and 7 are free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

its a toughie.. but with no advanced bios options you are very limited.. best thing to do would be remove all the devices on IRQ5 and also remove the pci bus, restart and pray when it picks them back up again windows will assign one or more to the free IRQ's..

Was it supplied with win2k? if so compaq have to help you... even if it needs new bios. otherwise your on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've the same problem.
    hasn't had any adverse effects - except maybe LAN reliability.
    Everything is on IRQ11.
    I have about 3-4 IRQs free.
    It's my one gripe about Win2k, that you can't set IRQs manaully (probably a reg hack out there somewhere for it though)

yep i treid the ye old install race and they all still want IRQ 9
    leaving 5 and 7 free still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Its just a suggestion, but have u tried deleting the pnp software device enumerator and rebooting?

I've never tried it,but you dont seem to have too much to lose trying it!

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

That's ACPI for ya, everything on the same IRQ. Shouldn't do much harm though.

Change to Standard PC, out of interest, see what happens.

I thought of that koneko but my machine is a laptop and i'll never be able to shut it down properly, i'll just be pulling the plug on it every time i want to shut it down.....I did help but only marginally, i was able to download off a network with only the loss of sound instead of the whole thing locking up like a camels arse in a sandstorm.....

i have two free IRQs and four devices on one IRQ, all it needs is a litlle adjustment but i cannot figure out how to do it......

That reg hack mightened work, if i ever find one!

as for the removal of the pnp software device enumerator, if i can't touch plug and play in the bios then that comes back on the machine before i reach the login....i cannnot stop the installation of devices unlees they need drivers fro cd/other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Oooh laptops. Grrr. They're sweet when they work, when they don't? You inch towards the open window...

Advertisement