Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: ASP Book to buy

Options
  • 25-04-2002 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Not the most extreme programming question ever folks. But I need to quickly get very good at using ASP as an entry point from the Web into a database.
    What is the best book to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I've bought a couple of asp books but the best of them was, surprisingly enough, ASP for Dummies.

Also the best asp resource I've found online is www.w3schools.com - it has everything including real-time samples where you can mess around with the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

depends really on your learning style. a good one may be "Active Server Pages Bible " [ISBN: 0-7645-4599-X]. As regards websites - w3schools or haneng.com (personal fav)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

It's been a while since I did any asp, but the book I used to bring myself up to speed pretty quickly way back when I started a job as an asp developer was asp in a nutshell from o'reilly & associates.

Well written, assumes you have a brain and can code etc. and just need to get to grips with asp quickly.

It worked for me, there's a new spangly 2nd edition out now...

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/aspnut2/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have a few ASP books i got (Cheap ones) and there not that good but work. Its annoying as all the good ones are aboot €60+ and i dont have that money to spend.

I found that some of the scripts in books dont seem to work though for me. Has anyone else ever had that problem?

sometimes. it might just be a typo or something small, in the case of o'reilly books: go to http://examples.oreilly.com/ - if there was a problem with the source code it's usually updated & listed... try it with other publishers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Active Serrver pages 3.0 from wrox

www.wrox.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Was looking at getting that book but i am afraid i didnt have around €50 or whatever it is to buy. You should be able to get a better deal on the web though.

books.maximumpc.co.uk - prices look promising,not entirely sure the full cost of ordering from 'em thourgh,haven't got anything from them (yet).

Advertisement