Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie - The Band

Options
  • 25-04-2002 2:43pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Time to get the ball rolling. The idea behind this is that a new band is created from boards members. We will hold an audition of some description, possibly in the TBMC(Temple Bar Music Center). Ideally I would love to be the guitarist, but if someone extrodinarily better(Not hard) comes along, I would be glad to give up my position. I suppose we could be open to original material and some covers for good measure.

Would Lucutus please make this a sticky ?

I have proposed this idea to DeVore and he gave it the quick go ahead. They advertise our band, and we advertise board.ie at our gigs, simple. If the interest is great enough this could be beautiful ...... or not.

EDIT: Could those interested PM me with their email address and I will add them to the list of interested parties.

Slaan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'll be the Vocalist. Audition...hmmm.....problem is, aditioning usually requires some sort of music, which means I have to play guitar accompaniment, which detracts from my singing, hmmmm, I'm sure Slaan wouldn't mind an oul session to help me......

Great Idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I will be a groupie :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Luc,

Any way of giving this thread a bit of notice ?

Slaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Kolodny
    I will be a groupie :)

Kolodny for groupieship!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, I sing and play guitar. Definitly up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

id love to join but unfortunately the only bit of music talent i have is pressing the demo button on my sisters keyboard.good luck to the band !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

ha ha! this could be a bit of fun!

i play guitar, i could be rythm guitar!

but would it actually happen?

you should do it in a pop idol style, with people voting for the best!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by Slaanesh

Any way of giving this thread a bit of notice ?

Slaan, made it a sticky, but think the main way to get it seen is to bump it every so often, (so it appears in the top 20 more frequently).

I could make it a boardswide announcement, however, I'd be reluctant to do that, seems a bit spammy.

We'll see how it goes over the coming week.

Any drummers or bass players interested in this? maybe a keyboard player?

Luc

Was talking to Dev, he said he would probably make it anouncment over the weekend. One or 2 announcements at most would be grand, the announcement at the moment will be gone over the weekend, making room for another announcement.

Slaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I'd be interested in trying out. I play the triangle, spoons and guitar (maybe guitar should have gone first?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

Don't suppose you want someone to do strange things with records. I can play mine backwards, fowards, and somtimes things inbetween...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I might consider it. Have to talk to my "real" band members first.

Anyone going to record it all?
    I can help out with mixing down to Mp3

Not getting as much feedback as I would like, hopefully with Dev's announcement it might generate a bit of interest. I'm gonna start a bit of a document with all the interested parties. So people who are interested in anyway send me an email and I will add you to the list.

Slaan.

In fact we could do a pop idol twist to the whole thing.

We could record all hopefuls and put their tryouts on the net and pop a poll here for who is the favourite player and then create a band from the chosen ones...

edit, Kolodny you can be the dancer! Just as long as you aren't Clod Knee'd :D

Nice idea Gordon, there doesn't seem to be quite enough interest yet which is a bit disappointing, but don't count it out yet. I think if I get enough applicants I could arrange a bit of an audition. Could be a fun day out.

Slaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Sounds interesting! I play guitar (& kazoo/mandolin/triangle) myself and I'd be interested in auditioning.

Plus if any of the potential singers/bassists/drummists want to audition with a particular song then I'll acompany them if they let me know the song at least a week before hand!

I'll prepare a CV and send it off to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Sounds good,
    Im a bassist, and interested.
    We'll have to settle on some kinda musical style will we?
    Or maybe a big eclectic mix might be interesting

Could those who have expressed interest give me there email and tell me what talents they have. I am compiling a list and will hopefully setup a bit of a mailing list.

Thanks for all the interest so far, I am keeping a close eye.

Slaan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

You seem to have a reasonable amount of interest so far Ronan but only for guitarists/singers (to be expected)

Why not try advertising for bass players / drummers / more funky exotic intrument players.

Get a good strong rythem section behind you to let you do some of that fret w@anking you love so much :)

• Advertisement

Yeah I know Andy, have a few bassists on the list. One person who says they can play a bit of drums. Thing is, if someone can play drums they will more than likely get the part because of the lack of drummers out there. This is a shout out to any drummers so ! :)

List is getting bigger as we go along.

Slaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

I could do some percussion maybe,
    got a cool little djembe at home!
    Maybe a bit of trumpet too, haven't played much recently though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

mail sent.

oops, forgot the email address; its nothingworks@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

i play guitar, but to be hanoest i dont think ill be much use to ye, although you do have my full support and besides,

you'll need some fans!!:D

Could all those who haven't given me their email address's please do so. We are coming along quite nicely with the addition of a drummer :)

Slaan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spiral5150

Any ideas on musical styles this band might try?

For these auditions, I was thinking of just letting everybody play together. The idea being, I give a few songs to be learnt and that person learns their bit for the song. So when we get together at the auditions everybody knows the bits to play. And he/she who does their bit the best get's into the band. I'm sure there will be a few ideas thrown around for song's to play. In the end I will choose, because I can :P

Slaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Better be some GNR like nightrain or rocketqueen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Mailed you Slaan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Well,

Latin Percussionist here myself, i play djembe, congas, vibratone and many many more percussion instruments, i play a bit of drums but i wouldnt be confident enough, tho what i could do is ask a friend of mine possibly to help out.

He is Brian Downeys Son (thin lizzy) And is an exceptional drummer, for all the sceptics youy can go see him play in Isaac butts where he does a live drum n bass gig.

Mail me

agentbubble@hotmail.com

I also know about 3 bass players, the only major problem i can see would be the type of music that would be played, many of these are jazz musicians, and would die before they play a pop song of some sort.........

Ill tell them it's for a Latin Jazz band :)

Advertisement