Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is dublin really that bad??

• 25-04-2002 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

http://www.ireland.com/focus/streetcrime/eyewitness.htm

a friend of mine has send me this link and it actually shocked me that these people do not even need a reason anymore.
    But the most terrible part must be those politicians and garda guy's who do nothing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Probably but compared to most cities Dublin is fairly quiet i would think!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Have to say Ive been drinking in Dublin city centre every weekwend for the last 12 years or so and not once have I had any hassle.
    I know that what happened to those above must have been frightening but I do believe that there are scum out there who go out on weekends etc just looking for a fight with someone.As for Gardai on Oconnell st-IMO its one of the heaviest policed areas in Dublin especially at the weekend.One saturday I counted 64 gardai on OConnell st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I've never been attacked in Dublin. I was mugged once in Killester but I was young, very píssed, and sure everyone gets mugged. I wasn't gonna take on 5 blokes while I was píssed. Turns out later that night, in the exact same area where I was mugged... a bloke who dod chalenge them had his head smashed with a hammer!! Just as well I didn't get any dutch courage.

Aside from that, never attacked. The people with all these stories should try living in Glasgow for a while. They'd be dying (:)) to get back to Dublin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

I've never been actually attacked in Dublin but then I only lived there for 6 months. It wasn't a very friendly place.

One thing I definately noticed though, both in the articals and in my own experience of living there is that the police presence in the city is terrible. For a city with that many people in it you'd think there would be more Gardaí on the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

More gardaì on the streets is a necessary expense if we want to have any chance fo defeating this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never had any hassle myself, but twice have seen it.

Once down the laneway at the side of the Olympia. I saw 6 or 7 guys literally kicking this other guy in the head, while he crouched on the ground. Why didn't I try to help him? Well, I was on my own, and there was 6/7 of them. Hmmm....not very good odds. It only lasted about 20 secs, 10 of which took me to actually realise what I was seeing, and as soon as they stopped, the guy (luckily) hopped up and legged it off, so I had no reason any further to intervene. Still had me a bit shocked.

The second time I was very drunk, and don't remember exactly what happened, but I knew even then, that it's never a good idea to get involved if you're drunk. I don't need to tell you why.

All that said, I wouldn't say Dublin is any more violent than other cities, but I would think we have a slightly higher occurence of 'random' beatings.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

A few years ago I walked out of the Palace Bar in Fleet Street with a friend of mine, heading into Temple Bar. A group of young teens, male and female, appeared from around the corner and proceeded to hurl abuse at us. When we passed they ran back and attacked me firstly, by kicking me martial art style in the back between the shoulders. I turned to face them, and one particular female flew at me punching and kicking randomly. I was shattered! My friend then tried to reason with them and they attacked him. We both pulled away and proceeded down into Temple Bar. Eventually we came upon a Police Van, with one guard in it. I explained what had happened and he said he'd keep an eye out!!!!!!!!

Why did they go to Temple Bar when Pearse St. Garda Station was beside them.

I would say some of these stories are exagerated.
    I've lived in Dublin my whole life and never had any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I've lived in Dublin my whole life and never had any trouble.
    You're one of the lucky ones then :p
    It could happen to anyone... when you least expect it... some knacker comes out of nowhere and starts giving you hasstle.
    I suppose it depends on how approachable you look, some people will go for years never having anyone bother them due to their build, attidude, appearence, accent etc...
    Where on the other end of the scale, you have the people who are 'knacker-magnets' and get mugged/battered numerous times over the years.
    You have to admit some people are more at risk than others... some people make "better" targets for X Y Z assault.
    Added to that - there's a lot of pot-luck, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, looking that little bit too tempting a target for Johnno the scanger.
    Your best bet is safety in numbers, like the Foo Fighters song said - "I'm alone and an easy target".

Someone on that site mentioned a 3-strike policy like in the states, maybe it's time to bring in the tough laws?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i have to say i am in total agreement , safety in numbers is your best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Ahh that **** goes on all over.. theres ****s like that every where cork dublin.. limerick is pritty bad i got the wind blown out of me just for walking in the Mc donalds jacks doors, and the ****er legged it, useually he wants you to chase ya so his friends below can ****ing nail ya so **** that.. but other wise just avoid it if you didnt do anything that bad you aint going to get stabbed, they just most likely want somthing from you... in which case you give it to them.. heh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by richie18
    I counted 64 gardai on OConnell st.

they were at that donut shop werent they ???

Advertisement