Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k printing issue?

• 23-05-2001 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm coming across a few problems with clients printing from Windows2000.

the common problems seem to be printing to a dot matrix printer (two are OKI emulating Epson, and one is an Epson) from a program with it's own printer settings.

Problem one: a DOS based program running in a command prompt won't print at all. No error message, nothing. it jsut pretends it printed and continues on it's happy way.

Problem two: Windows based version of the above :cannot set a user defined paper size, or even get US Fanfold as the default.It insists on reverting back to letter. Which is too long. Direct printing won't work. Tried setting Forms in start>settings>printers>file>server properties>forms

but no joy. Even when logged in as Administrator.

Anyone got any ideas?
    (PS. the second one also popped on one NT4 network, but all printers are local).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Try printing from a dos shell. Open a DOs window and type "DIR >Lpt1". If it prints at least you know the printer works, if not repost and we'll see if we can come up with any other ideas... wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

yep. the Dos one prints fine from Dos. It's when it has to print something htat requires formatting (controlled by ini files in the program) that the problem starts. the rest of the plain paper reports print fine.

Win2k seems to completely disregard custom settings or layouts dictated by the client program.

tried "net use" etc. but nothing. It doesn't seem to be a printing from dos type problem.

wots the DOS package that its printing from?

Also are there any log in scripts that are running on the WIN2k problem. I've seen before where a script runs in the background during boot which maps an old printer to the port u try to use,(took a while to find that one out - ****in adminastrators know nothing!!!)
    Have you tried changing the options in the printer setup for spooling MS print jobs change that to off and set the job to print directly to the printer in RAW format...

The Dos package is Sage Micropay 2000.

It prints ok, except for anything that needs a configuration, like a payslip or a P45 or P60.

The other is Micropay for windows. Again it prints fine, but any formatting done by the program seems to be ignored by the printer.

Spool MS DOS jobs is ticked off
    Print directly to printer and format: RAW is selected
    The program itself also has print directly to printer set.

It seems to be Win2ks refusal to set a user defined paper size (from what I can see).

Now, all the users *do* log in to a network of sorts (one is Win2k pro on an NT4 network, the rest are pure Win2k professional client and server.

Perhaps it is their script that is causing it?

OK I think I know the problem..I have used similar sytems to the ones you mention (Take5 ring any bells?) On any of these the document setting and paper sizes etc are configured on the Dot Matrix printer itself. Have a look around the printer and there should be a hidden panel with loads of small dip switches (what model printers are they), you will need the manual that came with the printer to configure these switches. DOt Matrix printers are a right pain to configure properly. Let me know the models and I'll try to help you out. wink.gif

• Advertisement

yep, used Take5 as well smile.gif

The printers are all Oki Microline 3320 (9 pin wide carriage).
    emulation is set to Epson FX, driver is Epson FX 286e (recommended driver for CRL - now Sage - products).
    Paper size is set to US fanfold, though with direct print on in the program and in the windows sriver that shouldn't make a difference as the program has it's own config files for printing, a DLL determines the layout for each form.

The problem seems to be that windows is ignoring what this Dll is telling it to print as the same printer and set up works fine on 95 to a local printer.

Some NT4 printing over a network and all win2k printing locally or over a network are doing this.

Have a look here ( http://ireland.oki.com/fcgi-bin/page.fcgi?pageId=25&countryId=122&bas eCountryId=1&charsetId=1&status=Live ) I dont have access to an NT machine at the moment so I cant try it. As you say it works in '95 it probably isn't the dips.
    Lets know what happens...

Edit, OK the URL doesnt work but heres the contents of the page, it refers to being unable to set a paper size in NT
    I cannot define custom paper size under Windows NT.

Go to Start/Settings/Printer and click on File/Server Properties and create New Form and click ok.

Go to Driver/Device manager and select New Form required and click ok.

Kind of short and sweet..

[This message has been edited by BNC (edited 28-05-2001).]

Advertisement