Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to tweak?

Options
  • 25-04-2002 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I have an old machine Dell 233MHz with 192RAM and 4Mb STB Velocity Graphics Card.

I want to be able to run half life and its mods on a network at 800 x 600 (at least) and be playable.
    At the moment it is at 680 x 480 and it is fairly difficult to play CS but i can manage at DOD because i'd choose a sniper, less movement.

What should I tweak, the CPU, Graphics Card or both. I am on a budget. I have looked at graphics gard via some of the links available here but I don't want to by a completely useless card that is as bad as the one i have.

I was looking at a Gainward AGP Riva TNT2 Vanta 16MB SDRam on www.komplett.ie, is it worth €46?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

The velocity is a real killer. What I would do is get the cheapest geforce2 mx possible, perhaps in buyandsell. The tnt is not worth €46, its a piece of crap IMHO.

if thats a pentium mmx 233, you won't be able to overclock it at all on a dell board, however if its a Pentium II 233, you may be able to clock it up with softfsb ( www.h-oda.com ) and choose the Intel AL440LX plugin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its a Pentium 2 with MMX. Is overclocking the best way to go or should i buy a celeron and a slotket adapter. Which is cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

This could help as an upgrade :

http://pcirl.com/tutorials/archive/200502.asp

What is the essential diffence between AGP and PCI G/Card with respect to my machine?

P.S. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=19105&t=476&l=1&AvdID=1&CatID=4&GrpID=9&s=pl Intel Slot 2 PIII Xeon 900MHz for EUR 5,904.22 excluding delivery, just the CPU!! Is this normal or are they f***ed in the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

server cpu from intel = the expensive merchandise and it's not too badly priced either :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

depseyt, thats like an uber cpu. a) it won't work on your board, b) it's for servers/vid editing.

I SAY: get yoself a geforce2mx.
    I SAY: the difference between agp and pci is, rough rough estimate, 40% speed, pci is also more expensive. there is NO POINT in getting pci if you can use an agp. the pci is limited by the 33mhz/66mhz pci bus. *i've loosely tested this, on a gf2mx pci*, if you overclock the pci bus by x%, the perfomance goes up x%. grr....

get the geforce first, see how it goes, if it is not good enough.. overclock/get a celeron. if you need a new chip, dell motherboards aren't the most accommodating beasts so if you have to change motherboard, you may have to get new ram. ick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

dempseyt even

did i do that to get 100 posts or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Its a Pentium 2 with MMX. Is overclocking the best way to go or should i buy a celeron and a slotket adapter. Which is cheaper?
    Overclocking is cheaper as it is free, and the other isn't.

I know a Xeon won't work on my system but the fact that it's €5,500 and I see it other places (Xeon 2.2Ghz not 900MHz) for less than half the price at other web sites. I'd hate to be the fool that buys it for €5,500

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

erm pcirl, the tutorial written by richie18 on your site is referring to upgrading a 100mhz fsb, bx slot 1 board, not a 66mhz lx PII board. You can get up to a celeron 733 for your board with the right adapter, however performance not be nearly as much as you expect because of the slow 66mhz bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I stand corrected but as you may agree it`s an interesting read nonetheless

Advertisement