Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting catch

Options
  • 25-04-2002 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Someone caught a 7lb gurnard off the quays in Wexford last week :eek:
    I caught another 2 Codling yesterday afternoon-peeler as usual.
    hope to go down to a south wexford beach after some early (hopefully big ) bass this evening
    tight lines

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

AH! a gurnard..havent seen one of them in about 2 years..was it red or grey(and did you make him "talk" hehe)
    my borther is talking about shore castig off waterford,any idea what it is like?
    i usually (sea) fish in galway bay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    AH! a gurnard..havent seen one of them in about 2 years..was it red or grey(and did you make him "talk" hehe)

It was a tub gurnard-I talked to someone who saw it.
    They guy concerned is having it stuffed and is eligible for a speciman badge.
    For the record here is the record size/speciman size
    Fish Record Speciman (Spec Metric)
    Tub Gurnard 12lb 31/2oz 5 2.268
    Grey Gurnard 3lb 1oz 1.5 0.680
    Red Gurnard 3lb 91/2oz 2 0.907

I'll put the current complete lising as a sticky
    jd

tub gurnard..never saw one of them before..what are they like?
    red/grey gurnards are LOTS a fun(they talk!!!!!)
    NO i ALWAYS put fish back.
    so what's the biggest fish(weight/size) you ever caught?
    i got a 5FT Tope 3 years ago in kinvara (it was about 40lb) really close to parkmore pier.

so on another note..you got a WHOLE board to yourself?i mean no-one ever posts here?so you could have ascii pr0n and no-one could ever slagg you off for being such a nerd(JK!)

so on another note..you got a WHOLE board to yourself?i mean no-one ever posts here?
    I mean to publicise it more-but work has been busy, and I'm starting a masters too.
    I'd guess if you look eat the threads, a lot of the boards people would tend to gof fishing more in the summer, when its not so cold,,,

tub gurnard..never saw one of them before..what are they like?
    tubgurnard2.jpg

This is a good site -The Aquarium Project- for identifying fish. I'll add it to the links

• Advertisement

Excellant! thanks..
    you know tuna were caught off the aran islands this year! that's kinda weird.
    topetaged.jpg

yep..it was THIS big :) well almost..blue shark can also be caught off the aran islands..100lb+ have been landed on our boat,you should see some of then.they really are a streamlined killer. have you ever seen a monkfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You cant eat a shark can you?

On another point this is the first time I've looked at this board.

Originally posted by Makaveli

yip -you can-and NO BONES-just cartilage-
    **so put that in your mouth and swallow it :) *

report in local paper here!!

221611.jpg
    :)

yes you can. i've had smoked dogfish. tasted like old boots but there ya go. if you can swallow it you can eat it :)

• Advertisement

I wss in Beshoffs in Howth a few days ago..
    shark steak is on the menu (as well as cardinal fish!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Harmo

I caught a spur dog about 2 years ago i tryed to eat it but the skin is like leather, so i got feed up and left it and ordered chips and cod from down the road in the chipper

Originally posted by Harmo
    I caught a spur dog about 2 years ago i tryed to eat it but the skin is like leather, so i got feed up and left it and ordered chips and cod from down the road in the chipper
    you have to skin it first... :)

Advertisement