Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural DSL in the UK

Options
  • 25-04-2002 5:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Cornwall online OK
    By Tim Richardson
    Posted: 25/04/2002 at 13:31 GMT

Plans to roll-out ADSL to rural areas took a step forward with week with the unveiling of six exchanges in Cornwall part-funded by European cash.

Thanks to the initiative exchanges in Truro, St Austell, Redruth, Camborne, Newquay and Penzance are now DSL-enabled.

And if there's enough demand then exchanges at Falmouth, Bodmin, Launceston, Saltash, Penryn, St Ives and Bude will be upgraded later this year.

The project called ACT NOW is a public/private sector partnership involving outfits such as BT and the South West of England Regional Development Agency.

Altogether, £12.5 million has been invested to help get small and medium sized businesses (SMEs) in Cornwall online.

More than £5 million was provided by the European Union.

From today 3,300 Cornish businesses will be able to choose from a range of access and hardware packages starting at £34.95 a month.

If successful, BT is looking to extend this public/private partnership to ten other areas in the UK over the next couple of years. ®

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

A few organised people like south cost TV (for the cork lads) springs to mind. They maybe be able to get funding to set up something in rural areas they did it with TV maybe they can do it with broadband.

Stone:D

PS im not sure if they got funding for the TV though (i fink not)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Stonemason

PS im not sure if they got funding for the TV though (i fink not)

Don't think they did - but they do have a proven business now so you never know.

Leaving aside the line going down as far as the business park in Clonakilty, I've a feeling that people in those really rural areas (obviously I'm leaving out anyone within a stones throw to COrk city) will be relying more on the provision of flat-rate.

Advertisement