Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language Orals...How Did You Do?

Options
  • 25-04-2002 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭

Hi,

How did all of your language orals go? Had both French and German today. French went okay, ni plus, ni moins! German was a whole other story. I would call it my worst ever oral exam.

I have never come across a more unfriendly person, a certain Mr Cuningham from Limerick. Called me into the exam than made me sit there for 10 minutes while he was doing something. Then I couldn’t understand his accent at all. He asked me exactly the same question at 3 (!) different intervals (and yes, I am confident I answered it correctly each time) When I was talking he kept saying “Ja, ja, ja, ja….”. Then kept interrupting me, couldn’t get more than 1 or 2 sentences per question in. When he wasn’t saying “Ja, ja,..” and wasn’t interrupting me, he just looked out the window as if nothing was happening. Picture sequences went okay but the roleplay was horrible (the restaurant one) He totally changed everything around, never gave me the opportunity to say anything, only let me say “Ja” or “Nein” and included all these things that weren’t on the candidates card. Definitely ended up with the impression that he WANTED people to get bad marks.

I am a repeat. Last year we had a really nice native German guy from Killarney, could not have been friendlier, even talked about stuff other than German when it was finished. Definitely got the feeling that it could not have done better and that he wanted people to do well, in sharp contrast to today’s.

So how did you all do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I was called out for a French oral today, the strange thing is that i don't do French :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I said "Je joue au cinema" in my French oral.

Need I say more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

French wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be, Irish I got asked about alcohol, smoking, the difference between hons and pass Irish and why I'm doing so many science subjects!
    I also said 'Beidh me ag dul go dti Cill Airne avec mo chairde'. Idiotic! Thank god I'm doing pass and Irish is my 8th in terms of points!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

:p
    I have never come across a more unfriendly person, a certain Mr Cuningham from Limerick.

u had my old german teacher LMFAO

should have brought up about his triple bypass or the fatherland...........he's a complete spa.........still LMFAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Irish was...:confused: ..I dunno! Was hoping twould be aite but didn't go so well.....
    Course the examiner wasnt soo friendly...cúnt..

I'm hoping to get round 12-18% cos I know I didn't do better.

French was a ball!
    Yer one was good craic. My foto was F1 and she hadn't a clue! I spent a good bit o time bullshíting her!

Berri happi with the French.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

Serialkiller,
    u had my old german teacher LMFAO

Thanks for reassuring me ;)!!! In all seriousness, you think he marks people harshly or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pixiestolemysho

all y'all shouldv'e aced the irish aural. it is after all your native tongue!! im pretty sure i got 90% (just like in the mocks)<
    im not a nerd,ive been in all irish schools all my educational career----. German however is not our native tongue and im pretty sure i got 1 maybe evn 2%. My philosofy(english aint my bestest subject either) is that "who gives a crap!!!??" maybe thats just me but i swear by this philosophy

< if u like art check out www.icklepix.com <---my mates site >

Emm i'm sorry to say bud, he's probally been ah right asshole with marking u :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

all y'all shouldv'e aced the irish aural. it is after all your native tongue!!
    Uh, English is my native tongue...

all y'all shouldv'e aced the irish aural. it is after all your native tongue!!

to be honist i would love if u have failed it.
    and none the less irish is my native tongue ...still don't mean i can do it by any means i can't learn languages but odd's are i'd kick your ass any day at maths phyics n applied maths so just keep your stupid comments to yourself. what a waster...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Hee I remember when i did my Irish oral she was asking my what I do in my spare time blah and I can't remember what exactly I kept saying but by the end of the oral she looked at me strangely and said (in Irish) "em, well, you seem to go to the pub an awful lot?" I was bewildered!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Originally posted by pixiestolemysho
    all y'all shouldv'e aced the irish aural. it is after all your native tongue!! im pretty sure i got 90% (just like in the mocks)

Erm.........Point 1. What use is Irish going to be to you after you leave school?
    Point 2. Arent you wonderful* for being able to speak an effectively dead language?
    (*note sarcasm device)
    Point 3. Lets see you walk in on 21st June and do the applied maths exam (we all have a sense of humour, dont we?)

PS. I'm sorry if I seem like a total bitch but Irish is my worst and most hated subject, and I hate Irish-speakers trying to patronise me with this "native tongue" crap. I've spoken English all my life, thats obviously my native tongue. Also, I'm quite proud of the fact that I lasted five and a half years in honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Man U babe

PS. I'm sorry if I seem like a total bitch but Irish is my worst and most hated subject, and I hate Irish-speakers trying to patronise me with this "native tongue" crap. I've spoken English all my life, thats obviously my native tongue. Also, I'm quite proud of the fact that I lasted five and a half years in honours.

Don't apologise. Shoots him straight down after his braindead point :rolleyes:

:)

Advertisement