Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xp --> 2000

• 26-04-2002 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭

Ok rightio, say if i have a machine with XP installed on it, can i easily "downgrade" to 2000?. I know you can upgrade from 2000 --> XP, is downgrading as easily a task?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Don`t Think you can, if you inserted the Win2k cd it would only offer to install a fresh copy, anyway Win2k is far better than WinXP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Personally i prefer XP, has some annoying things but once i take off all that eye candy so it looks like 2k it runs like a dream usually! and i dont like win2k for networking.. something not right about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

well i prefer 2000, basically what im wondering is there any way to downgrade the OS? (similar to the way you can upgrade it i.e. not a clean install?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by SheroN
    well i prefer 2000, basically what im wondering is there any way to downgrade the OS? (similar to the way you can upgrade it i.e. not a clean install?)

From here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/guide/troubleshoot.asp
    You cannot uninstall Windows XP Professional if you...: Upgraded from Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 Professional.

I think it's the same for XP home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

For me it was a clean install-
    If you insert the 2k disc, it wont allow a degrade to Win2k (if you could call it a degrade)

I had to do it for 2 machines and I had to format and reinstall.
    Fairly straightforward, if you have all the discs.

As for XP Home edition, I have it on my laptop and I like it alot- Its alot more stable than I thought it would be, but then again I cant remember the last time I rebooted my desktop w/ 2k!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

XP > 2k if machine is powerful enough :)

XP on the machines I use, 2k on business machines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

no, you cannot downgrad to 2k if you have xp installed. microsoft do not want you to use older technology, hence why they make it difficult to downgrade. You'l have to backup your data, and then boot from a win2k cd and start the installation of 2000. You'll be given the option to format, I usually would, its always better to give 2000 a fresh partition ;)
    and i dont like win2k for networking.. something not right about it!

eh? what are you talking about, 2000 is excellent for networking. I'd really like if you could elaberate on your comment saruman ?

Advertisement