Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Mysql book?

Options
  • 26-04-2002 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

OK been all over the interweb , looking for a Mysql book that
    brings you from " mysql ,what the hell is that " to " yea , me and
    sql go way back, i remember this time......."
    You get the picture , so Im hoping that all you webpeople could
    give me some advice .on what to puchase or your insight in
    to the whole thing.

Extra info
    Im after getting win , apach , php , mysql setup and now im
    looking into the data base side of it.
    Ive read about a hundred Tutorials ,some good ,some bad ,but
    not much help so far ( they assume you know basic commands and such )

The book im looking at is Mysql by Paul DuBois , publisher New Riders, anyone have it? recommended it.
    Or any other books please

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are a few good books that cover MySQL with something else ie. with PHP
    'MySQL/PHP Database Applications' is pretty good. It covers a lot of the basics behind SQL in general, before getting down to the nitty-gritty.

IMHO one of the best ways of learning any of these things is to download a few scripts from HotScripts or SourceForge and play around with them.
    You can learn a lot from looking at other people's code...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks Blacknight
    ill try some of those scripts , if i can figure out how they work
    I actually found a great tutorial on " Building a database driven website using PhP and mysql " at
    http://www.mysql.com/news/article-66.html

Which is very good for absolute beginers ,im already building tables and using commands and such ,which actually work !!
    new for me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I have "PHP and MySql Web Development". Excellent book which comes with a CD of sample scripts and everything you need to test them (Apache, MySQL, mod-PHP).

Advertisement