Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawlor Out of the running

Options
  • 26-04-2002 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Crying shame I proclaim...
    A Crying shame :p
    Lawlor decides not to run for election

Liam Lawlor has said that he will not be contesting the forthcoming general election. He said in a statement, that due to the time required to meet his obligations at the Flood Tribunal, he would not be able to devote enough time to his constituents.

Deputy Lawlor said his decision will disappoint many of his friends and constitutents who have in recent months asked him to contest the election.

However, he added that he leaves public life in the knowledge that the original rural West Dublin constituency where he was first elected has seen tremendous progress. He said he had played his part with other public representives in seeing the area grow and prosper.

Taken from here...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0424/lawlor.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Hardly a surprise, given the circumstances.
    Deputy Lawlor said his decision will disappoint many of his friends and constitutents who have in recent months asked him to contest the election.
    Emm, quite. It would have been interesting though, to see what sort of support he could muster if he had decided to run in the General Election. I realise I don't know about the man or what kind of work he did (except take a few brown envelopes here and there) but I wonder what exactly he *did* do for his constituents. It makes me think how people are willing to forgive and forget a lot of transgressions if a person is perceived as doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Good riddance to him, though I would have loved to see him participating in the election and getting hammered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by swiss
    Emm, quite. It would have been interesting though, to see what sort of support he could muster if he had decided to run in the General Election.
    It makes me think how people are willing to forgive and forget a lot of transgressions if a person is perceived as doing a good job.

Last I heard, opinion polls (prob in February) put him on 3-4% first preference votes. I'd like to think it was this that stopped him running, rather than all the time he'll have to spend organising to bring money home from wherever it is to pay off his tax debts and other debts.

Second point is an interesting question - especially given Michael Lowry's election at the last general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by sceptre
    Second point is an interesting question - especially given Michael Lowry's election at the last general election.
    I think the country has grown up a little since then (only a bit, but ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

Lawlor is only the tip of the iceberg. To eliminate the endemic problem of corruption in public life by way of the tribunals is like attempting to clean an oil tanker with a toothbrush.

The stench of corruption

• Advertisement
Advertisement