Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotherBoard Gone ?

• 26-04-2002 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Formatted a machine yesterday, all went fine, drivers loaded and no problems, till today. Switched the machine on to load some software and half way through startup got the ould blue screen.
    hit esc a few times then got impatient so I turned it off and turned it back on again.
    Problem is it didn't turn back on again.
    I've narrowed it down a fair bit, and just want to know if ive missed anything
    Power supply is ok. It powers up but dosn't get as far a video card details.
    i tried a different card , didn't make any difference.
    Hard drive is ok as I've tested it in a different machine
    Pulled out all cables and pushed them back in again
    still no luck
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

memory... if you have more than one dimm then try individually.. otherwise change the mem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

I had a similar problem - turned out to be that I hadn't replaced the BIOS jumper in the correct position after wiping the BIOS - perhaps you did something similar, maybe with another jumper?
    HTH,
    MK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Few suggestions:

Firstly is it a Dell ? Because I had a simelar issue with a dell like that before. Basically in the Bios, Theres an options which tells the pc what to do if the power is cut.

It allows you to set it to "Previous System State" or "Power off". Mabye when you pulled the plug, and powered it up again, its in its previous state, Hung half-way through startup.

Anyway, its hard to explain, just hold the power button in for 4 seconds and it should give it a proper power off.

Its a long-shot but ya never know these days. (Try reset the bios aswell).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

Thanks lads,

Its the feicking motherboard, Got it rechecked last night

ah well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I wouldn`t go chucking out the motherboard just yet, there a few things you could try

1. Remove CMOS Battery - small 3v battery on the mobo

2. Reseat all components - GFX Card, CPU ,RAM

3. Toggle i/o switch on PSU while pressing the power button on front of case.

4. Try a different PSU

5. Try starting machine without CMOS battery or try another CMOS bettery

6. Check for signs of life on mobo - LEDS, fan powers on etc.

7. Note any beeps the machine makes

8. Pull the system back to basic config - GFX card, CPU, Ram, Hard Drive

9. Check connections on the board - IDE and Power ones

10. Don`t trust a PC repair guy as there is more in it for them if the machine is busted.

This should sort it out and i`m sure it will...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

All Sorted

New MotherBoard

Well Actually went for an Upgrade, So everyone is happy.

Thanks for the help lads

Advertisement