Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Line test.

Options
  • 26-04-2002 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

I called today about the line test for Residential and the girl tested it and said she would have an answer in 24 hours.
    I thoiught it was instant.
    this happen anyone else?
    im in D22
    Kdja

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

That's a new one on me, mate. I got the thumbs up in a matter of seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Same here ish.

Was being tested for two lines.

Line one: Failed, but she'd call me back in 24 hours because she was going to do it again...ugh, right.

Line two: Instant failure - was told I'd probably never be able to get adsl (this was a seperate call to a different person) Though she did get my address wrong when I gave my number and had to go through five minutes of checking and rechecking before they got it.

So my conclusion is perhaps their systems are glitchy right now?

I remember back at the trials the guy that tested my "Line two" was sure it was just noise on the line - and would be fixed soon. Today I was told "I'd probably never get adsl on that line"

If what I was told today is true - then I'm going to have to move country. This is getting beyond a ridiculous farce, and I won't see broadband in this decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I rang and the rather confused woman told me she couldn't test the line as it wasn't rolled out yet.. I explained that I had the line tested last November and would just like to see if my exchange had now been upgraded.

She was adamant that she couldn't run a test on the line and tbh she sounded like she hadn't a clue what the line test was and this *was* on the specific ADSL freephone number. She said she'd send me a pack which had all the enabled exchanges listed in it which I've seince been told doesn't have the exchanges listed in it and would be pointless if it had as I still wouldn't know if my particualr line was ADSL ready.

:rolleyes:

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mdf

If what I was told today is true - then I'm going to have to move country.

Eh, no. You'll just have to move nearer the exchange. ADSL is - and is all over the world - a distance dependent technology.

Originally posted by mdf
    If what I was told today is true - then I'm going to have to move country.

Eh, no. You'll just have to move nearer the exchange. ADSL is - and is all over the world - a distance dependent technology.

Eh, yes. No offence, but I'm not moving house to get a bog standard, overpriced and capped adsl. If it was in the house I'm currently in - no problem, but, no, I wouldn't move house just to get i-stream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,415 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

IMHO the previous "line tests" were more of a lottery than anything else, have seen at least two people say in this forum that they failed the line test for the trials and magically are fine now that money has entered the equation.

I await the response I get to my inquiry with baited breath..this phoneline failed the "line test" before too..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Mine has failed in both houses - both times.

Frankly, they sounded more hopeful in the trialling stages than they did this time around.

How can they say they hope to have one million households connected by x time when people in Dublin trying out now are failing?

BTW; Line One is definitely within the distance to the exchange - noise on the line or additional equipment is being blamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I wonder if they just dont want us to have ADSL.
    they probable dont even check the lines just take a guess :rolleyes:

I dunno - an ISP owning friend in America said that to me after I failed... "Look at this way, Eircom aren't very willing to sell adsl" (let's face it - the prices, the caps, the dragging of their feet - they aren't)
    "If so, why would they say "Yes" on a line test that you can't verify independently?"

While I admit it's a far out conspiracy - it does remind me of the theories that went around on the last trials line test. Just out of interest, who here HAS passed the line test?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

My normal phone line failed the test for the trials, so i got a second line in with specific instructions to make it dsl capable... after a 6 week wait, i finally got the dsl capable line installed only to find out that it had failed the dsl test ... AHHHHH

I now have isdn on the second line ... Oh yeah, BTW, Eircom dont test the line there and then in seconds, Engineers test the lines when the lines are getting installed, or juring maintainance and the records are the things that are checked in seconds, not the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by ando
    Oh yeah, BTW, Eircom dont test the line there and then in seconds, Engineers test the lines when the lines are getting

OK - why then was I told by Eircom that my line had passed the test when I enquired about trialling ADSL? Have they not got something similar to BT's Whoosh test?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by NoelRock
    I dunno - an ISP owning friend in America said that to me after I failed... "Look at this way, Eircom aren't very willing to sell adsl" (let's face it - the prices, the caps, the dragging of their feet - they aren't)
    There is of course the small matter of recouping the money invested in rolling out the thing.
    [qupte]Just out of interest, who here HAS passed the line test? [/QUOTE]

Everybody on the trials for a start, which is a sizable number of ppl.

OK, when I asked who had passed the tests, I was more or less excluding the trialists and asking for people who had got the go ahead this week for buying adsl.

Indeed, the people who trialled have got the go ahead.

Also, Eircom don't really have to make money back on the investment - they make far more on 56k. Sorry to take such a cynical view on this, but they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

Well my mine failed for the trial, but i phoned yesterday and my line passed....i couldnt order the thing fast enough.

Awwww Pimp - you burst my one last hope that eircom was screwy *begins to cry* Damn it, I've got NO HOPE OF BROADBAND. NONE. How the heck do I do work? It's so unfair. Where's the justice? Where is it?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

NoelRock, you might have DACS boxes or line splitters on your line somwhere, you could look into getting these removed somehow.

Oh yeah, BTW, Eircom dont test the line there and then in seconds, Engineers test the lines when the lines are getting installed, or juring maintainance and the records are the things that are checked in seconds, not the line

I don't know if the people on the ADSL freephone num can do the test but I do know they can test the line in crown alley. I know people trained in to do the tests. They send a small electrical pulse down the line and test the strength of the signal or some such. I was under the assumption that's what they do when they ask you to hold for a minute.

.logic.

Dustaz,

If I end up getting adsl ;) expect some form of nice gift in the mail.

You like games? Sure you do. Who doesn't :-p.

Back to reality (for now) - I'm praying that you're right, clutching at straws appears to be my last hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

"If so, why would they say "Yes" on a line test that you can't verify independently?"

While I admit it's a far out conspiracy - it does remind me of the theories that went around on the last trials line test. Just out of interest, who here HAS passed the line test?

To be honest I am not inclined to believe the above. ADSL is an ideal way for Eircom to maximise the return on the copper that they have already installed. I suspect that selling ADSL to 1,000,000 households is better than selling lease lines to thousands of large business users.

During the last trial when they said that your line failed the test what they meant was that the line did not meet certain very specific criteria (i.e. they needed to try different levels of quality).

I received a letter on Tuesday from Eircom telling me that my line had passed the test and that I could order the service if I so desired. I phoned the number supplied and it was confirmed that my line was suitable.

"1,000,000 households" Well if both my households failed - and there are only about 1,500,000 households at most here - I fail to see how they aim to sell to 1,000,000.

Eircom get a larger return on 56k then adsl though - that's one argument you can't really deny.

• Advertisement

My normal phone line failed the test for the trials, so i got a second line in with specific instructions to make it dsl capable... after a 6 week wait, i finally got the dsl capable line installed only to find out that it had failed the dsl test ... AHHHHH

I now have isdn on the second line ... Oh yeah, BTW, Eircom dont test the line there and then in seconds, Engineers test the lines when the lines are getting installed, or juring maintainance and the records are the things that are checked in seconds, not the line

Yes they can test the lines very rapidly ... there are test-heads installed at the exchanges and thousands of lines can be tested every hour ... all the operator need do is request a test and the results are returned within minutes. They can also predict the suitability of a line if their records show the exact length and configuration of the line in question.

"1,000,000 households" Well if both my households failed - and there are only about 1,500,000 households at most here - I fail to see how they aim to sell to 1,000,000.

Eircom get a larger return on 56k then adsl though - that's one argument you can't really deny.

Eircom get a larger return on 56k then adsl though - that's one argument you can't really deny ... you are correct, I can't really deny this. They get a larger return on 56K than ADSL because they are currently getting zero return for ADSL (the service is to be introduced May 14).

I assume that you were not trying to catch me in a logic trap and that you really mean that ADSL will not generate as much revenue as 56k. While it is difficult to prove you wrong I honestly believe that this is not the case.

There is no doubt but that Eircom will eventually be forced into introducing Flat Rate access for analogue connections so I suspect that ADSL will in the long term generate a better cashflow.

I did not mean to imply that they will get 1,000,000 ADSL customers however the potential market is more than a million which is much larger than the lease line business ... the theory was that Eircom were stalling in order to protect their lease line business. I have not come across any claims that they were stalling in order to protect their 56K analogue business.

Eircom's real asset is their last mile of copper connected to almost every private household in Ireland and they can enhance the value of this asset by offering additional services such as ADSL (or ISDN). The competition is really only interested in serving large corporations (it is already rumoured that Esat may drop domestic and small business customers) so if Tony and the lads want to squeeze the last penny from their recently required asset it does not make any sense for them to avoid ithe introduction of ADSL.

Eircom are claiming that the service will be made available to 1,000,000 households (500,000 in Dublin) which would indicate that they are fairly confident that the majority of lines should eventually pass. In many countries in Europe you can walk into a shop and purchase a DIY ADSL kit without any requirement for a linetest which indicates that line quality problems may be over stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

I have been reading about Line Tests here for a while now and I still cannot understand why people have not picked up on what Eircom are saying about your Telephone line? If your line fails the test then who actually is responsible? When I got my line in first all I was gaurenteed was 9,600 (or less) Has this changed?

Originally posted by 212.2.179.66
    I have been reading about Line Tests here for a while now and I still cannot understand why people have not picked up on what Eircom are saying about your Telephone line? If your line fails the test then who actually is responsible? When I got my line in first all I was gaurenteed was 9,600 (or less) Has this changed?

No it hasn't. They still only have to guarantee a maximum of 9,600. So if your line does fail I don't think anyones "responsible" per say. It just means you can't avail of a product. They have no obligation to ensure that everyone on enabled exchanges has a line that will pass the test.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by 212.2.179.66
    I have been reading about Line Tests here for a while now and I still cannot understand why people have not picked up on what Eircom are saying about your Telephone line?
    If it fails, what Eircom are saying is your line is no good for ADSL. This does not necessarily imply bad things about its performance on voice or PSTN modems. Those services uses a tiny frequency range right at the bottom of the scale - less than 4kHz. ADSL uses frequencies up to 1,500kHz. In another thread, NoelRock was reporting a line test failure even though he gets 48kbps dialup speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I think this whole eircom ADSL thing is a conspiracy thoery. They say they want to put adsl into ireland (At the start) and them slap us with outragus prices and caps. I would love to hire a private investigator or get someone on the inside to findout whats happening. :D:D

You never know.... it might work

Originally posted by Winters
    I think this whole eircom ADSL thing is a conspiracy thoery.

You never know.... it might work

Are you saying that it is a "conspiracy" or a "conspiracy theory"? there is a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Originally posted by infomat

Are you saying that it is a "conspiracy" or a "conspiracy theory"? there is a big difference.

you know exactly what hes saying, you don't have to be such a smart ass everytime someone makes a mistake, it really is a waste of thread space.

(if you're going to point out that me posting about this is a waste of thread space then you'll only be proving my point)

Im just pointing this out for future reference, I'm not trying to start anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dRNk SAnTA

you know exactly what hes saying, you don't have to be such a smart ass everytime someone makes a mistake, it really is a waste of thread space.

(if you're going to point out that me posting about this is a waste of thread space then you'll only be proving my point)

Im just pointing this out for future reference, I'm not trying to start anything.

Agree with all of that. Perfectly obvious what Winters was saying if you read the whole post (there are ways of highlighting something without pretending it's unintelligible). Take it outside, boys.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dRNk SAnTA

[/QUOTE

While in this instance your comment is valid I don't agree that I act "the smart ass" everytime everyone makes a mistake ... but, nevertheless, apologies to WINTERS

Advertisement