Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Line test.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Its pretty obvious that the problem is that errorcom don't know what they are doing. Based on all the stories I've heard so far, it doesn't seem to matter if the exchange is enabled or not, or even if its a brand new exchange with brand new copper going to the house next door.

Yep, having been looking at how badly eircom were "covering" the place with their DSL "rollout" (rofl, more like), I phoned them out of curiosity today to ask if our house we moved into about two months ago has a line good enough for DSL.

They said our exchange (I'm in Cabra west, and from what I've seen, northside lines seem a lot better than what we had in our old place in Clondalkin) was indeed DSL enabled, but they couldn't get proper info on my line yet, and would call back tomorrow.

So, some woman in eircom woke me up at 6pm or so today calling on my mobile, to tell me the line wasn't able for DSL.
    No real idea why, nor if or when it would get better.

Good job, eircom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Maybe i'm splitting hairs here but I don't necessarily agree that Eircom don't know what they are doing. I think that the DSL group or at least the ones who answer the phones are not very well informed. further, I think that while the DSL group has a core of knowledgeable people, their lack of contact with the PSTN people who look after the actual copper is a huge problem.
    For the most part though, I think that Eircom as a company couldn't particularly be bothered to deal with anything that isn't a clear pass right now because it costs time and money. They are going to sign up all the people who are easy to sign up first. They will sign up the more difficult ones in a year or two when the easy ones run out.
    I talked to an Eircom guy yesterday who told me that some of the DSL people are ex BT. They were involved with the rollout there. Apparently, in Britain they made a mess of the initial rollout by signing up anyone near an exchange. In that case, there were bound to be people who got bad service and had to be removed or lines fixed which is costly.
    So, when these techs joined Eircom to roll it out here, they probably took the test procedure and made it so that the line has to be near perfect for someone to pass. It is a good way of ensuring minimal problems down the road and again, lots of people will qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Well, in my numerous conversations with the ADSL Sales Team, I found most of them to be quite good, and one of them to be quite bad (a "script reader")

The main contact I had confirmed that RADSL would be introduced after the rollout to connect those outside range/failed tests of standard ADSL and that they were putting together a ISDN to ADSL Upgrade package/offer.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I have probably spoken to about ten different people over there in my quest to get DSL. I found that they range from knowing very little beyond the most basic info to knowing quite a bit but only about the service itself. When it comes to sorting out problems, none of the people I spoke to could help directly. They always asked me to hold while they consulted someone else, presumably higher up.
    Now that I am dealing with a 'manager' or whatever, things are going smoother and while he doesn't know all the answers, he is very much more knowledgeable.
    Again, if they could work effectively with the PSTN people, I bet that a good number of failed lines could be sorted quickly and these people could receive DSL.

Advertisement