Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manifesto Promises.

Options
  • 26-04-2002 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

I currently see three threads on manifesto promises here - and I'd just like to say a few things in general about them all.

To all of us here, Internet access is a big issue, however, your vote should not be solely based on Internet Access alone - that's a very narrow minded view, and for all you know, the party with the best net access policy might want to do other things that you completely disagree with.

Manifesto's are giant scripts - and chances are, most parties won't deliver on any of these promises at the start of their reign.

Also, at least 5% of the members here are under the voting age - so this is entirely irrelevant.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't back any party because of their promises on the net - they probably won't carry any of them out either way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i was going to move this thread into one of the other ones, but i happen to agree with every single point in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Pity you're not a politician ;) you would've got my vote for that reply.

...I'm a pushover :p ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Here's a link to an article in the Technology section of todays Irish Times, showing the replies of the various parties when asked about the technology side of their party's policy:

Irish Times article

Mike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Here's a link to an article in the Technology section of todays Irish Times, showing the replies of the various parties when asked about the technology side of their party's policy:

[Thanks Mike]

CTRL+F: "flat-rate"... nuthin
    CTRL+F: "flatrate"... nuthin
    CTRL+F: "unmetered"... nuthin
    CTRL+F: "friaco"... nuthin

See, here's what I don't understand: Last week Fine Gael and Labour argued the merits of a flat-rate Internet service in the Dáil. They argued them strongly, and rather well it has to be said. The amendments they tabled were withdrawn, but only because of assurances from Government. The outgoing Government. (Let's not get into predictions, this isn't the time or place.) Have they changed their minds about this in the space of a week? Perhaps they don't communicate with one another? Have services been rolled out and we haven't noticed?

It drives me spare. Spare, I tell ya.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I have been extracting telecoms commitments from the manifestos and posting them here. I am not expecting this information to change the way people will vote but there are other reasons:

1. If you meet a politician in the next few weeks and you know what is in their manifesto you can have a much better argument with them - really get your point across, really push them and make them think.

2. By analysing what theparties say, checking if its true and building on their comments we can help the committee with information and arguments that they can use now and after the election to push the parties.

I don't think we should underestimate the importance of manifestos. Assuming their will be a coalition government after the next election the manifestos will be key building blocks in the negotations of the coalition programme for government. If we can not find what we want in the manifesto we should push hard to make sure the parties take it on board before they start those negotiations. I would not be too cynical about manifestos. The fine print tells a lot about where the party is at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement