Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adsl????

Options
  • 26-04-2002 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

hey,

just wondering what ADSL is like for games.

Currently i have 512 leased line and am getting about 40 ping in servers . i am considering getting the following package:

1024 kb/s down / 256 kbs up
    Basic uncapped ADSL: EUR 204.49

will there be a big difference in the game play considering there will be only 256 upload or will that matter at all.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by jim_bob
    hey,

Currently i have 512 leased line and am getting about 40 ping in servers . i am considering getting the following package:

will there be a big difference in the game play considering there will be only 256 upload or will that matter at all.

cheers

Please tell me that you're not considering €204.49 a month JUST to play online games a bit faster???????????????

If you are, then could I suggest that instead of pinging game servers, you try pinging brain cells! You won't be getting answers in milliseconds on that one!!!

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

i can tell you now the isdn line is costing alot more than EUR 204.49 a month. it's a lease line from ntl Which is on 24 / 7

anyways it's not like i am going to be paying for it, it's for work and was just wondering what it's like for games. would it be faster.

i love this the way people post of the subject. will you keep to the God Damn subject please
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

But would your work actually pay for ADSL just so you can play some games ? Do you mind if I ask what you work as ?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

If it's any faster for games i am sure i can convince them to switch over as it costs less
    thats all they will care about is the price of it and if it will work out that it slower than what we have they need not know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Does connection speed affect pings? I'm not sure, but if it doesnt then no, you wont get much better than ~60ms on eircon i-Stream.

If it does then disregard this post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

Originally posted by jim_bob
    hey,

cheers

If all you are doing is gameing. Then I really would suggest that you stay well away from Eircom and go with Elive-Oceanfree-UTV.
    Elive 40 Ping
    Oceanfree 20 Ping
    UTV 40 Ping
    That was only using Demon Servers for TFC/CS/DOD
    With Eircom the same servers average 60 - 90 Ping.
    Also I might suggest you try posting this on the Games/HL Boards.
    Some people that post there already have ADSL and they might be able to guide you in the right direction. Also at that sorth of speed/s the difference in gameplay will not be all that noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i can get around 50 with some tweaking on the 512 flavour. no idea bout the higher version.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Interesting, this "tweaking" you speak of.....

Do tell :]

Advertisement