Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cube or P2....?

Options
  • 26-04-2002 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

I was think of buying a new console..... but I dont know which one I should go for :(

I dont have a dvd player, so I was thinking of the P2, plus the excellent games (snake II etc) but I have always gone with nintendo in the pasted.....

so what do u think I should do P2 or gamecube?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Snake II wasn`t that on the Nokia 3310 phones

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Game cube more powerful and cheaper.. ps2 has more software support, not going to die too soon and has DVD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

I'd go for the ps2, the shear amount and quality of games is enough to make your decision, imo.

I was never much of a fan of nintendo games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Da_Kid

Good games make good consoles, and the PS2 has by far the best games atm...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

AH sure just get a dreamcast and be done with, or if ytou look really hard you might find an Atari Jaguar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

PS2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What if the Game Cube was as good as the SNES (back in the day), it is games that sell consoles, but GoldenEYE, Mario Kart and Super Mario where worthbuying the N64 alone for

We`ll just have to wait and see: I`ve a PS2 and nothing has really got my sayin"yeah this is the one"

The next 6 months will be very interesting

Ask this question a week later. GC aint out yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have a ps2 and there isn't really much good on it. Devil may cry is truly excellent and so is maximo but mgs2 is a bit of a disappointment and is ruined by very boring codex scenes that go on forever. I'm getting myself a cube. Nintendo make the best games by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, that's not much out for a while on the GC that compares to the PS2's better games. If you're picking up a console on May 3rd I'd advise you go for a PS2 - if only because there are quality games available there and then as opposed to big name games in the pipeline.

Or you could just pick up a Dreamcast and then a GameCube at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Humm. Dont bother with eather. PS2 is getting old by now. Its just got a DVD and popularity. The gamecube is good but ... no DVD and is really aimed at children. The XBox will come down in price and that has alot to offer. Just dont bother with any and invesit in a GOOD pc with a lot of RAM and good graphics. Then youll have fun....and play DoD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

PS2 because FFX is out in a bit. This is the only game you'll need all year really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

im waiting till x-mass comes to buy my next console
    i hate sony but there the best atm
    im giving nintendo and microsoft till x-mass and hopefully they'll have the AAA games out
    btw anyone know what console shenmue 3 is coming out on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Both. If I had to choose one though, it'd be the cube.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

PS2 will have millions upon millions of game,so many of them are bound to be classic's.
    But i'd go for cube,smash bro's melee is out a week after release,and i loved the 1st one in multiplayer,but it wont truely shine until near christmas,when Perfect Dark 2 and the new Zelda are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Why chose, just buy both. I am :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vivi

Originally posted by Swifty
    PS2 because FFX is out in a bit. This is the only game you'll need all year really.
    Originally posted by Da_Kid

They are the 2 best points any1 could make to buy any console. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Gamecube, for price and resident evil. Metroid looks class. PS2 games dont have really any replay value, got sick of MGS2 after a while, and i haven't played gta3 in ages. I would still play metroid on the snes over them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 saddlier

quote:
    Originally posted by Swifty

quote:
    Originally posted by Da_Kid

They are the 2 best points any1 could make to buy any console.

You seem yo have neglected the facts that:
    1.Square is returning to nintendo(with FFXI i think)
    2.Resident evils 0,1,2,3,4 will be made solely 4 the cube (with a demo releeased may 10th)
    3.Cube will have the 56k/broadband choice (no ussless ethernet port.)
    4.€199 r.r.p.
    5.4 control ports
    6.rouge leader voted best game at e3 last year
    7.starfox, smashbros melee, zelda, mario sunshine, fifa wc 2002, metroid prime and possible pd2 on the way.
    8.Nintendo actually care about the european market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by saddlier

Actions recently suggest that a huge change in Nintendos attitude to the European market has happened, but i need more of the same for the next 5 years, just to be sure.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm buying a Cube. I have two GBA's and I want to see how they hook up to the thing.

btw when is the Cube out? shouldn't it be now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

still dont know ..... :(

I was checkin out the prices of the game cube games and they are priced at 40 - 45 english pounds. (OMG)

does any one know about the rumours that a dvd add-on is coming out for the gamecube?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Panasonic have a cube dvd player hybrid out in japan. Don't know if it'll be out in europe but it's a bit of a rip off any way at 400stg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Gamecube out today (rah) aint got the money tho <cries> but the panasonic one is out chrimbo time (i think) at 300 or so sterling.
    Gamecube is only 130 btw up north, so its hardly much (im just plain skint :()

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

It really depends on whether Nintendo and Rare do their thng or not. I mean PS is good and allbut they just seemed to ahev loads of games with nowt special really at all atall. Whereas with Nintendo you (eventually) had Mario, Goldeneye, Zelda etc that are just the greatest. PS has loads of support but it's like digital telly who gives a bollox I mean I still just gonna watch the same stations anyways not Fashion feckin tv. Get a Cude Nintender won't let you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well going on track records.. if the Gcube will be anything like the N64 was, you'll have only a few truly great games, and a hand full of crap cutsey-poo titles, mixed with an unhealthy dose of crap unrealistic/unplayable driving games.
    If they got the developer support - there could be some real gems, but personally I'd wait until the good games come out before buying the console.
    The PS2 is a safer bet IMO... some good games already out for it, and you can pick up a whole rake of classic PS1 titles for half nothing, which is great if you've never had a PS1 :)(ooh Parapa the Rapper!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Hmmmm, I'm in a similar dilema for after the Leaving Cert, not sure which console to buy, but at the minute I'm thinking PS2, for a number of reasons.... I don't have a DVD player of my own, but I have a stack of DVDs, so when I go away next year I want to be able to watch them, also, FFX, mmmmmmm, and there are a few other games I want to play through at my own speed, like Ico and MGS2.

Apart from FFX are there any other really good games in the immediate pipeline for the PS2 or have most of them come out?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by saddlier
    quote:

Pity they don't care about Irish market. Neither they or Microsoft went to much expense promoting their consoles in ROI relying solely on UK advertising overspills.

If there's any drawback with PS2 is the inability to play MP3's which is a bit annoying. I wonder when they plan to launch the HDD for PS2?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

IrishByte, were u reading that sh*te from the sunday world? The most PS2 biased column i have ever seen. The ads could only be seen as bad because of the euro price not being shown on sky, but on rte it was.

Advertisement