Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons why your line failed the ADSL test

Options
  • 26-04-2002 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

First a question, Does anybody know what ADSL standard eircom are using, CAP or DMT? I ask because the modem I got is clearly marked DMT, but the description

• Bridge taps - These are extensions, between you and the exchane that extend service to other customers. While you wouldn't notice these bridge taps in normal phone service, they may take the total length of the circuit beyond the distance limits of the service provider.
    • Fiber-optic cables - ADSL signals can't pass through the conversion from analog to digital and back to analog that occurs if a portion of your telephone circuit comes through fiber-optic cables.
    • Distance - Even if you know where your exchange is (don't be surprised if you don't -- eircom don't advertise their locations), looking at a map is no indication of the distance a signal must travel between your house and the office.

You might wonder, if distance is a limitation for DSL, why it's not also a limitation for voice telephone calls. The answer lies in small amplifiers called loading coils that the eircom uses to boost voice signals. Unfortunately, these loading coils are incompatible with ADSL signals, so a voice coil in the loop between your telephone and the telephone company's central office will disqualify you from receiving ADSL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Is there anyway that they can find out why you're failing for adsl and try to fix it?

Just clutching at straws...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

As you can see, getting a new line will far from asure your connection. To be honos i doubt theyknow why a line fails jsut that it has failed, and i doubt they will go ripping out expenisve equipment because its not configured right for adsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Another reason you will fail the test (and reason I failed)

If you got a second line in your house over the last 2 - 8 years (or so Eircom tells me) then monetary constraints and/or lack of cabling in your area may have meant that your second line was gotten by splitting your line into one line with a Carrier line added on.

This is fine for voice calls but when it comes to the Data frequecies on the line they run at approx 50% of strength. This means that
    1. you will never acheive speeds of over 33'600 bps on a dial-up modem
    2. the line will have insufficient strength to carry the adsl.

I myself have a splitter in my esb meter closet. It's a small greyish box that says "multigain 2000" on it. It may be inside your house or on the telephone pole outside.

When checking your poles look for a White/grey box or a black cylinder. Both do the same function.

If you didn't but a new house was built nearby and/or your neighbour got a second line then you may have a split line too.

According to Eircom, if you order a second line now, a splitter will not be used unless absolutely necessary.

I have been in touch with them over the past week and they have an engineer coming out next week to either install a proper line or reintegrate my original line into a full strenght one (i hope).

A way to force the issue is to order ISDN for which they have to install a second line. But then you will have to pay even more to convert that to PSTN.

Hope that helps someone.

Nah, my line can't be split - it always connects at either 46,666 or 48,000 bps...damn...

But I do have a grey box inside my house...oddly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

If you have a normal line and you have say 2 phone points connected off it, it will fail the ADSL trial. I am not fully sure but I think it has something to do with the current going throught the line and any additional PP ( Phone Point ) you have connected to it will detract a certain amount of current from your origional line?
    I am not sure if this is right, but I would love to have a look at the criteria that is laid down by Eircom that your line has to meet before it qualifies for ADSL. Can anyone supply this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by 212.2.179.66
    If you have a normal line and you have say 2 phone points connected off it, it will fail the ADSL trial.

Absolutely incorrect. I have a single phone line split three ways in my house to different extensions and I passed the line test for the trials in November.

Only problem I have had is that the main phone has never rung since ADSL was installed, all other extensions do. Don't know whether the engineer may have damaged the main phone when installing the splitter, but it's certainly weird....

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

Originally posted by 212.2.179.66
    If you have a normal line and you have say 2 phone points connected off it, it will fail the ADSL trial. I am not fully sure but I think it has something to do with the current going throught the line and any additional PP ( Phone Point ) you have connected to it will detract a certain amount of current from your origional line?
    I am not sure if this is right, but I would love to have a look at the criteria that is laid down by Eircom that your line has to meet before it qualifies for ADSL. Can anyone supply this?

Thats the biggest load of balls ive ever heard.
    The normal phone line has 4 copper wires once it gets into the house and more actually on the line. They dont have to split the line to send to phone "lines" down the one cable. In some parts were there is allready a dac box of course they will. But weither you get a second full line or bring it through the one thats there will make no difference

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

1. you will never acheive speeds of over 33'600 bps on a dial-up modem

My frigging dialup never exceeds 28,800bps :( Near useless. Would it be possible for me to ring Eircom and ask if my line is split and if it is, would they come out and un-split it?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I still believe it might be some kinda conspiracy. I dont think they do check your lines. Id say they look at your phone bills. See if there getting enough money from you and then say No. If there not getting enough money from you they say "You've Passed"

Its just a thought

• Advertisement

I have no idea *shivers* but some nice ol' bandwidth hogs got onto the trial - so I doubt that theory...though I'd love with all my heart to believe it, it gives me a glimmer of hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by irishbyte
    My frigging dialup never exceeds 28,800bps :( Near useless. Would it be possible for me to ring Eircom and ask if my line is split and if it is, would they come out and un-split it?:(
    At the moment, Eircom are under no obligation to do anything about it, and they won't. All you can do is order a new line and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

Originally posted by Felix Randel

Thats the biggest load of balls ive ever heard.
    The normal phone line has 4 copper wires once it gets into the house and more actually on the line. They dont have to split the line to send to phone "lines" down the one cable. In some parts were there is allready a dac box of course they will. But weither you get a second full line or bring it through the one thats there will make no difference

Of course you are right. Silly me!
    or am I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by irishbyte

16,800bps here and it is a disgrace. i'll give Eircom a ring in the morning and hope for the best

Advertisement