Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Rock/Metal album from 2001/2002...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

people will *always* think that our own opinion is inherently superior and more "real" than that of someone else, unless it's that of someone we truly respect- in that case, we take that opinion to heart, analyse, and extract the bits we agree with, and mould our old opinion around the new bits of information- that is how human beings form our opinions- they are socially constructed, and *rarely* formed completely independently-but then again, people don't realise that we are being unconsciously influenced by outside sources- we don't *have* to have seventeen different sources and references to back up the minutiae of a strongly held opinion- it just seems to come from the gut!

so...what was my point??......

oh, yes...why are some people around here so ready to leap upon someone else's point and rip it to shreds, simply because it conflicts with their own??

why, according to some people, is "produced" music (because other music just materialises, then, does it??) automatically inferior?? pretty soon- the only "good" music will be nothing more than inaudible noise- "oh, it's just sooooooo post-modern, dahling"

sure, sometimes music can challenge, question, enlighten, inspire, and so on, but does music, which, don't forget, it first and foremost entertainment! always have to be "worthy" and break boundaries- why can't it just be appreciated for what it is?????

[/rant over]

(edit) for the record- toxicity gets my vote- i like the pogo song- it's fun (/edit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by beardedchicken
    why, according to some people, is "produced" music (because other music just materialises, then, does it??) automatically inferior?? pretty soon- the only "good" music will be nothing more than inaudible noise- "oh, it's just sooooooo post-modern, dahling"

Try read what people are saying, before spouting, mmmkay?

The key word here is "Manufactured", not "Produced".

Now, when someone says that a band is manufactured, they are saying that the band was one put together by the record company. A band that had members auditioned, and had songs pre-written for them. Just like Westlife.
    A non-manufactured band is one that came together on it's own, such as friends making a band, and they would write their own music.

Warner Brothers manufactured Linkin Park.
    And that is no secret, either.

So when someone is talking about the relevance of such things.
    One band would be a device of the record company, where as the other would be a proper band.

Originally posted by AngelWhore

Try read what people are saying, before spouting, mmmkay?

The key word here is "Manufactured", not "Produced".

Now, when someone says that a band is manufactured, they are saying that the band was one put together by the record company. A band that had members auditioned, and had songs pre-written for them. Just like Westlife.
    A non-manufactured band is one that came together on it's own, such as friends making a band, and they would write their own music.

Warner Brothers manufactured Linkin Park.
    And that is no secret, either.

So when someone is talking about the relevance of such things.
    One band would be a device of the record company, where as the other would be a proper band.

thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much for the music lesson, there, love!* (*sarcasm)

1. i used this opportunity to "spout", because it's something i had been thinking about lately, and i thought that here, among like-minded people would be the perfect place to do so. if it's inappropriate, or belongs somewhere else, that's fine! why not use your moderator-ly powers and get rid of it- i have absolutely no problem whatsoever with that!!

2. i did actually read the whole thread thoroughly before posting- that was, in fact, one of the main thrusts of my argument- people are too quick to jump down one another's throats, and more often than not, fail to recognise sarcasm when they see it*.

3. and finally, Mr. Pot, someone else *did* refer to music sounding too "produced" as opposed to "manufactured" and i do realise both the meanings of, and the differences between those two terms!
    yours sincerely, the kettle!* (*sarcasm)

i think i'll just go and cry now....bye bye, cruel world......blubber!!

sniffle

thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much for the music lesson, there, love!* (*sarcasm)

1. i used this opportunity to "spout", because it's something i had been thinking about lately, and i thought that here, among like-minded people would be the perfect place to do so. if it's inappropriate, or belongs somewhere else, that's fine! why not use your moderator-ly powers and get rid of it- i have absolutely no problem whatsoever with that!!

Who said anything about me using any kind of moderation on you?
    This is exactly what you're supposed to do here, spout!
    Just because I don't agree with you, doesn't mean I'm gonna lock the fecking thread!

Don't get fecking paranoid!
    I'm probably going to disagree with 90% of the people that post here.
    That's not the point.
    2. i did actually read the whole thread thoroughly before posting- that was, in fact, one of the main thrusts of my argument- people are too quick to jump down one another's throats, and more often than not, fail to recognise sarcasm when they see it*.

The boards would be a pretty boring place indeed if people just went "Yup" and "MmmHmm" all the time.
    This is a place for discussion, and jumping down people's throats. :)
    3. and finally, Mr. Pot, someone else *did* refer to music sounding too "produced" as opposed to "manufactured" and i do realise both the meanings of, and the differences between those two terms!
    yours sincerely, the kettle!* (*sarcasm)

Nicely put.

A lot better than your previous rambling waffle about how opinions are formed. :D

And yes, I did kinda jump on you. Thought you were reffering to my comments.

But there is definetly music out there that is "OverProduced".
    Take one look at the last Dimmu Borgir album.
    It was pretty much ruined because they completely and utterly over-triggered the drums.
    Would have been a way better album if the production was a bit less *HUGE*?

Anyway.
    As you note yourself, it's best to take me and my comments with a pinch of salt now and again.
    I'm quite a sarcastic bastard myself.

Just don't get bent out of shape, I'm not going to "Moderate" you, or anyone just because I disagree.
    I'll save that for the spammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I must admit that I have yet to see anything that is either inspirational, impressive or original on the heavy rock/metal scene yet in 2001 or 2002.

I don't like the "manufactured" bands... not because they're manufactured- but because I think they're crap.

Nickelback however have potential...

• Advertisement

Just because I don't agree with you, doesn't mean I'm gonna lock the fecking thread!

cool! it has happened before with other mods, though! - their word is gospel, and if you disagree, you're automatically a muppet!- it's great to know that you don't do that!

inhale....exhale....inhale.....exhale....aahhhhhh

it's ok, everyone, i've calmed down.....think happy thoughts.....laa laa laa laa

and besides...it's the bank holiday weekend- happy happy happy!!

Naw, don't worry at all.
    I'd never be like that.

And if I was, you'd probably find every thread containing anything nu-metal locked. :D
    And I'd hardly think that's going to happen.

I'm not here to force my opinions on anyone, and I doubt that's why I was given the job of moderator either.
    So you can relax, and disagree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭pookster

I'd have to go with Tool - Lateralus, with SOAD - Toxicity 2nd.

As quoted above
    "2. Toxicity/Linkin Park/Nickelback etc. is exactly whats wrong with modern rock/metal. In fact these bands would probably fall into the pop catogary."

I wouldn't class SOAD the same as Linkin, Nickle. Big difference.

Advertisement