Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Music

Options
  • 26-04-2002 10:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondered if any one else interested in this genre and which music pieces are worth listening to. My interest started from ad music and the score music of films. Some good examples are
    - Shawshank Redemption - Mozart?s ?Duettino? from The Marriage of Figaro
    - Hamlet Cigars / Seven ? Bach, ?Air on a G string?
    - Die Hard ? Bach, ?Brandenberg Concerto #3?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Bach for me, Baroque ROQUES!!! But my favourite piece would have to be Strauss' Blue danube waltz. Bach's Toccata and Fugue Dm just kicks... bustle.

As for piano, of course Chopin, his raindrop piece is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

not listened to as much as i mean to yet, but so far chopain is by far my fav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

I LOVE classical music!!! I've been a fan of this music for 18 years now. My interest started in the strangest of ways- through watching Torvill and Dean skate to Ravel's "Bolero" in the 1984 Winter Olympics!!!!! I now have AT LEAST 150-200 classical CDS!!! My favourite pieces (in no order!!!)

Beethoven's Fifth Symphony

"The Blue Danube" by Johann Strauss

etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

Michael Nyman - The Sacrafice and/or The Heart Asks For Pleasure First. Both off The Piano OST

---

oh and Prominatory from The Last Of The Mohicans OST. Not so much classical but a great tune. Its the piece when yerman is tearing up the cliff face making bits of the bad guys. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Stuff I posted on another forum a long time ago:

Dvorak: Largo (excerpt from the New World Symphony)

Edward Elgar: Pomp and Circumstance (movement 1) ("Land of hope and glory" - the Brits love it and it was the Donald Duck sequence in Fantasia 2000)

Carl Orff: Oh Fortuna (from Carmina Burana)

Beethoven: Sixth Symphony (the Pastoral symphony - really nice, but about half an hour long)

Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue (jazz/classical crossover - I like it and there's probably a nice version out somewhere that only has the piano bits)

Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata

Bach: Air on a G String (these days people seem to call it "Bach's air in D" for some reason)

Ravel: Bolero (know a few people who reckon it's the best music to have sex to, haven't gone out with any of them so I can't possibly comment:))

Edvard Grieg: "morning" from Peer Gynt: soothing, relaxing

Edvard Grieg: In the Hall of the Mountain King (you'll recognise this one - I have a nice dance mix of it)

Mascagni: the intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana (used be the Kleenex ad sometime in the seventies)

Offenbach: "bacarolle" from the tales of Hoffman

Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (not so soothing but good)

Strauss (Johann I): Radetsky March (not soothing at all really)

Pachabel: Canon

Schubert: Ave Maria (Mario Lanza also does a tenor version of this which is quite nice)

Beethoven: Fur Elise

Samuel Barber: Adagio for Strings (theme from Platoon and used in the Elephant Man, I think)

Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (it's the tune people graduate to in Limerick: Vanessa Mae does a nice unconventional version on an electric violin)

Prokofiev: Troika (I love this)

Bach: Adagio from Cello sonata in G Minor (it was used in Truly Madly Deeply)

Marcello: Andante from Oboe Concerto in D Minor (was used in The Firm)

Vivaldi: Spring from the 4 seasons (Nigel Kennedy's version is good, Anne Sophie Mutter good also)

Verdi: Va, Pensiero (Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves) from nabucco (absolutely brilliant)

Verdi: Vede! le fosche notturne (Anvil Chorus) from Il Trovatore (just as good as the last - GET THESE 2!)

Bizet: Au fond du temple saint from The Pearl Fishers

Delibes: Viens Malika (Flower Duet) from Lakme

and the obligatory: Puccini: Nessun Dorma from Turandot (most people prefer Pavarotti's version)

oh, nearly forgot some movie music:

Scott Joplin: The Entertainer (there are two versions out there: one has just a piano and was used in The Sting, the other is more instruments, get the piano version, most people like it best) Actually, get anything else by Scott Joplin you can lay your hands on - it's all ragtime and it's all good)

Movie themes:
    Grand Prix
    Midnight Cowboy
    The Magnificent 7
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Great Escape
    A Shot in the Dark
    633 Squadron

(edit: I;ve already sold 'erself on the idea that if we get married and require wedding music - no crappy usual tunes - she can walk down aisles to Pachabel's Canon instead (it used be the tune for the Wool adverts in the 70s) - lots of fun (also used by Coolio as a backing track, as was Air on A G String)

• Advertisement
Advertisement