Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backup question and Video Question

• 29-05-2001 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

I want to back up my HD and was thinkin of using a portable HD to do so. Are these available in USB? Can anyone recommend anything better?

Also, when I attempt to run something that uses DIrect x, such as media player or games my system crashes occasionally with a "ddhelp.exe" error. I then have to reboot the sys to get it working again. Any idea why this happens?

SPECS
    ======
    win98se
    geforce 2 (6.50 official dets)
    DirectX 8a
    Intel P3 & i815 mobo
    Creative 64v Audio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds:
    I want to back up my HD and was thinkin of using a portable HD to do so. Are these available in USB? Can anyone recommend anything better?

Also, when I attempt to run something that uses DIrect x, such as media player or games my system crashes occasionally with a "ddhelp.exe" error. I then have to reboot the sys to get it working again. Any idea why this happens?

SPECS
    ======
    win98se
    geforce 2 (6.50 official dets)
    DirectX 8a
    Intel P3 & i815 mobo
    Creative 64v Audio
    </font>

download media player 7, or is 8 out now.
    sounds like a help file problem. just reistall and it should be ok. you can get usb portable hard drives but i think they are very expensive. someone here im sure knows more about them. id just go for a normal hard drive. its not too hard to whip it in, copy stuff over and whip it out again.
    its either that or get an external jazz drive or something

One Of your Imps Does A Good Impersonation Of You
    He Can Even Do The Ears.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

woops, didnt read that bit right. try reinstalling directx 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Burners are cheap, I use a burner and Drive Image Pro, works great! Needless to say burners are handy in general too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Thanks for the replies. I have tried re-installing DX8 but to no avail. Anyway, I was thinking about getting a burner alright, however I dont want to suffer from buffer underrun probs and end up with a coaster :-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

If you install it right, and keep your speed reasonable you shouldn't get many underruns. A decent quality burner helps also.

Anyway, the price of blank CDs these days means a few coasters are acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Oh, one more thing; SCSI burners 0wn j00. Mine NEVER EVER NEVER gets errors. NEVER.

Advertisement