Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE picture breakup

• 27-04-2002 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Anyone else experiencing this. Almost all the time since RTE appeared on the EPG, I am experiencing picture breakup (pixelation and stuttering) to the extent that the picture is unwatchable. As I sit here and type I am watching the rugby on my rubbish terrestrial signal.

No other channel (at least the ones that I watch) does this.

HELP!

Comments

Your dish needs attention it's probably slightly off line and only noticed on the RTÉ's.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Mark McG
    Anyone else experiencing this. Almost all the time since RTE appeared on the EPG, I am experiencing picture breakup (pixelation and stuttering) to the extent that the picture is unwatchable. As I sit here and type I am watching the rugby on my rubbish terrestrial signal.

No other channel (at least the ones that I watch) does this.

HELP!

I had the same problem. For some weeks now, my picture was a tad jumpy at night and when there was clouds. My signal strength/quality was approx. 10%. When RTE appeared last week, it was just as yours is - unwatchable. I moved the dish slightly and my picture came back perfect on all channels.

You can check your signal quality by selecting the Services buttion on your remote, followed by system test (no. 4, I think) followed by signal test. You will get two bar graphs representing the picture quality/strength. If these are below 50% this is your problem.

Hope this helps.

TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

There are two other possibilities:
    1. The lnb is not switching to low band

2. there is a coax problem, sometimes this shows up at a gain loss on specific frequencies.

Hope this helps

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

have not noticed it.. whats your signal strength like? i know all the irish stations seemed to be offline for a while yesterday.. the other sky ones were fine! I have never seen pixelation on sky digital and my cable was drilled through by my dad (muppet) and only held together with tape!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mark McG

Since Sunday (yes, I know that's it only yesterday) the problem has gone away. We have a HUGE bird on the dish problem. I know that there were no birds on the dish, but I'd say that problem could be the damn birds have (over a time) knocked the dish out of line.

My signal strength is routinely below 50%. My quality is always over 50%, except when the birds are on the dish!

I may get someone in to readjust the dish. I wouldn't have a clue and would probably eliminate the signal all together.

You ever in Cork Tony?

Mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

What signal quality and strength can you get from the RTE transponder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Mark McG

You ever in Cork Tony?

Mark.

I wish, I love Cork:D

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by chernobyl
    What signal quality and strength can you get from the RTE transponder?

I just tried out this myself via Manaul Tuning in Installer menu and the signal bars were as high as default tp but is it supposed to say Not Locked? I assume it doesn't matter as the channels work OK.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

anyone get severe breakup on most channels at about 3am. was it the weather last night (high winds and torrential rain BTW) or does my dish need another nuge? all went back to normal today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    anyone get severe breakup on most channels at about 3am. was it the weather last night (high winds and torrential rain BTW) or does my dish need another nuge? all went back to normal today

I've had the past few days with the wind and rain. The picture is back to normal but the signal strength and quality bars aren't as high as they were before :(

Glenn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

saw some pixilation on N2 last night, will wait for it to happen again before I start moving anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i checked the signal strength for the RTÉ transponder on the installer menu and both bars are nearly full. i have noticed some rust on the dish. could that be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

A friend of mine lives in Donnybrook and has Sky Digital.
    He says that anytime an Airplane is close by, the RTE picture on Sky breaks up. Probably because the Plane breaks the line of sight link between dish and satellite.
    It is a bad idea for RTE to have the Satellite relay dish in the middle of a city.

Is Sky using the kind of technology that means channels that require extra bandwith from time to time get it at the expense of those that don't??
    That would make pixellation more noticeable on the channels, the bandwith is borrowed from.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Hi Madman,
    Yes all transponders on Sky use this (I'm 99% certain)
    But its not going to affect RTE's bandwidth at the moment.
    With ITV, they stuck 10 ITV 1 regions on one transponder.
    When all 10 are broadcasting the same material, ie Cornation Street or Formula One, and there is rapid movement in the picture, all ten channels fight equally for more bandwidth which is not there, hence the pixellation.
    In RTE's case, this will not happen, because there is only four TV channels on the transponder (At present)
    and all channels are broadcasting different material.
    The picture breakup on RTE is due to something different.

Advertisement