Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tone or Pulse ?

• 28-05-2001 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

I had this wierd problem last night

I was trying to get online for ages and ages and kept getting "Line Busy"

Wierd...

So I picked up the fax machine thats connected to the same line and tried to dial a number, It worked no problem

I then changed the dialup number in my DUN connection to my mobile number, Still Line Busy... I even tried putting commas in the number (for a delay), still nothing...

So then i dont know why but i decided to try Pulse dialing (since the fax is pulse) .. and it worked !??! .. Wierd I know, any ideas why this would happen, could it be my Phone line? or the modem

RentZ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

try disconnecting your fax machine.
    just for fun like

Your Dungeon Is On An Incline;
    Irate Creatures Cannot Play Marbles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

tried it.. nope tongue.gif

rolleyes.gifRentZ rolleyes.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

First of all, type of modem.
    internal or external? Make? interface?
    distance from wall socket?

Second ISP?

U may need to ensure that ur dialing properties are setup right. I had my modem pulse dialling for ages, couldn't remeber wher to change it. No obvious difference except it took a while to dial the 1890 number to UTVInternet.
    Anyone else who works in telecomms able to help out?
    Know who to talk to about getting a linesplitter taken off your line?
    I reckon I should only have to pay ahlf teh rental charges for teh line cos I'm only getting half teh bandwidth anyways which today implies half the sevice. The ODTR should remove any clause where a telco can say teh will only guaentee upto xxbps and no more. The max for PSTN last time i checked is either 54 or 52kbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

How are you online now?
    Different puter/connection?

Anyway...
    Id often get line busy tone, with several isp's. Usually works after a few tries tho.
    Other than that I have no useful help smile.gif

Oh, except I use tone cause its faster for meh tongue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

the obvious thing that comes to mind is that the modem isn't sending the correct tone frequencies
    the second isp doesnt come into it if he can't dial his mobile

advice-borrow another modem
    jd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

check/uncheck "wait for dial tone before dialling" in the modem properties. Can sometimes act a little srewy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Plug your modem cable into the wall you silly bint!

Has it always been like that Rentz? Or just recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

line busy could be your isp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Its allready been stated that he can't get his mobile => that its not his ISP's fault he's getting engaged tones.

Advertisement