Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adsl Modem what to buy ?

Options
  • 27-04-2002 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

IM an expert on 56k modems ...LOL
    But i might be able to get DSL i ahve no clue what to look for:
    Is USB better than Ehternet and so forth
    Anyone any opinions ideas ??
    Also will Eircom let us buy our won modem?
    Thx
    Kdja

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well you buy from the ISP, not on your own.

Ethernet would be the better option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

only muppets buy from eircom when they do not have too.
    eircom will sell you a €200 isdm modem,
    when you can pick them up for €30.
    they will charge you "ADSL USB modem 145 excl.
    VAT or ADSL ethernet modem 200 excl. VAT"
    you can pick up a DSL router for about €220 inc VAT.
    a much better buy with things like NAT and other settings.

Originally posted by Coyote
    only muppets buy from eircom when they do not have too.
    eircom will sell you a €200 isdm modem,
    when you can pick them up for €30.
    they will charge you "ADSL USB modem 145 excl.
    VAT or ADSL ethernet modem 200 excl. VAT"
    you can pick up a DSL router for about €220 inc VAT.
    a much better buy with things like NAT and other settings.

While a ADSL modem may have a built in router, DSL router's, as they are sold(eg netgear RT314) while not connect you to the internet without a modem.

The idea that a router is a replacement for an ethernet modem is wrong, they are used only in conjunction with one another.

While ISDN is one service, DSL is totalt different, I strongly doubt that eircom will allow you to use third party modems, for the simple reason of protocols would be different. PPPOA in england and PPPOE here, on the exact same make and model modems.

Why do you think its nearly imposible to find a retailer of SpeedTouch dsl modems. Plenty of information but allmost no where sells them. If you could just go out a buy them at will, dont you think the likes of dabs.com would sell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

You can buy Speedtouch DSL modems at:

DSL Source (UK)

Doesn't say if they deliver to Ireland.

Doesn't look much cheaper though: Speedtouch USB modem - £85 (€137) ex. VAT and shipping or €145 ex. VAT from Eircom

Wont they be configured for pppoa not pppoe, Or is that not a big problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You can just reconfigure the router to Eircom's config. but if it doesn't have a built in PPPoE client it's going to be pretty useless. Most of the DSL modems can be reconfigured actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

You could get the PCI card for £67.

I thinkl linksys does a PCI model. Not the best solution in the world for obvious reasons

Boston. Ok fine if you want to pick at points.
    I’m not getting in to a technical argument over the net again with someone.
    I own and run an Internet café, I have 3 Cisco router, and have been after Eircom from 1998 about DSL. I was just making a quick point. Not trying to give a total run down on DSL modems.
    And I have used the Eircom ADSL modems and they suck as far as I’m concerned.
    and you do not have to use the Eircom modems they are a optionl extra.

Boston. Ok fine if you want to pick at points.
    I’m not getting in to a technical argument over the net again with someone.
    I own and run an Internet café, I have 3 Cisco router, and have been after Eircom from 1998 about DSL. I was just making a quick point. Not trying to give a total run down on DSL modems.
    And I have used the Eircom ADSL modems and they suck as far as I’m concerned.

In fairness few people are going to be buying ciso routers to connect to i stream. The routers you describe are goign to be as expesnive if not more expensive then the ones eircom sell.
    and you do not have to use the Eircom modems they are a optionl extra.

And you know this how? Not saying your wrong just the terms of serivce for i stream havent been finalished and you cant go on other services. I agree if you dont have to buy from eircom, then dont, but that not to say that at the of the day you will have an option.

• Advertisement

for fuck sake i never said to buy a Cisco router.
    the one's i have are all more that €1500.
    I was talking about a netgear or the like DSL modem/router ok.

about the Eircom modem.
    I just about as sure as you can be.
    if you want lets €50 on it ?

for fuck sake i never said to buy a Cisco router.
    the one's i have are all more that €1500.
    I was talking about a netgear or the like DSL modem/router ok.

thenyour being extrememly misleading, Because Netgear routers, even the more high ends ones require etherent dsl modems(the type eircom sell) to connect you to the internet.

You have to understand that not all routers do the same Job, i know the type of thing your talking about, Its basicallly a modem, a hub and a switch rolled into the one. where as most "home and small business" routers dont have the modem part.

[URL=SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Cable or DSL modem and Internet service

]http://www.netgear.com/product_view.asp?xrp=4&yrp=12&zrp=111[/URL]

example. Any router marked cable/DSL will not have a built in modem, And these are the "cheap" ones

Im not getting into an arguement with you on this, because ive hand it a million times, what it comes down to is what you calss as a router and what you class as a modem, alot of people say theres no difference, but what about that product i just posted.

Some people will read your post and think, o i can get one of those netgear routers for 180 euro and it will connect me to the internet, only to find themselves let down.

about the Eircom modem.
    I just about as sure as you can be.
    if you want lets €50 on it ?

Im not saying your wrong, just seems strange to me that eircom would pass up the opertunity to rub the consumer blind. If your right they im just as happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Advertisement