Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politicans dont want young voters votes

Options
  • 28-04-2002 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

No wonder young people dont vote whenever politicans call to my door they ask for my parents blatantly disregarding my vote. Only the crazy local independant candidate asked me for my support ( all in Limerick East must vote Barney Shanahan) At least when that P.d. huja de puijto Tim O' Malley asked to see my parents i hust shouted TIMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYY ala Southpark and shut the door on him. Sweet beautiful revenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

funny:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Well holding the vote during the week day isn't much help either... Why not use a Sunday instead? Most people will be at home, not much ppl will be working, not much ppl will be shopping... What else will people be doing?
    But I can see the Bishops and Grannys up in arms about Sunday ballots.. lol...

Age 21 to be a candidate. UNdemocratic I say. Thankfully this is going to change(not till after this election of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Heh, they've not even come near my door yet. If some politician came to my door and asked for my parents I'd inform him about how he just lost my vote and then close the door in his face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

They dont want the election on sunday cos it will upset the bishop and the grannies

saturdays are out cos of the jewish sabath

then they go and contradict both reasons not to have an election on a religious day by hoding it on the islamic sabath (friday)

the establishment are afraid of the younger votes because they know that students can be a political force to be reconed with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Age 21 to be a candidate. UNdemocratic I say.

Article 16

1. 1° Every citizen without distinction of sex who has reached the age of twenty-one years, and who is not placed under disability or incapacity by this Constitution or by law, shall be eligible for membership of Dáil Éireann

Obviously, This will need amending and I am in favor of this, because if one is old enough to enter into a legal agreement one should not be disqualified from membership of the Dail, the electorate can judge them self if someone is to immature to be a member of the lower house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

OT- Is it on a Friday simply because that's the day it's on, or is there a law laying down Friday as the specified day of a General Election?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

no but the election must be held 21 days after disolving the Dail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

OT- Is it on a Friday simply because that's the day it's on, or is there a law laying down Friday as the specified day of a General Election?

It's the day chosen by the Taoiseach and his Cabinet. Strategy would seem to have a part to play in their decision.
    6. GENERAL ELECTIONS

A general election must be held within thirty days after the dissolution of the Dáil. The Clerk of the Dáil issues a writ to the returning officer in each constituency instructing him/her to hold an election of the prescribed number of members. The returning officer is the county registrar or, in Dublin and Cork, the city or county sheriff. The Ceann Comhairle (chairman of the Dáil) is automatically returned without an election unless he/she signifies that he/she does not wish to continue as a member. The latest time for nominating a person as a candidate is 12 noon on the ninth day after the issue of the writs.

The Minister for the Environment appoints the polling day which must be between the 17th and 25th day (excluding Sundays and public holidays) after the issue of the writ. He also appoints the polling period which must consist of at least 12 hours between 8.00 a.m. and 10.30 p.m.
    Source

adam

If you don't the bad politicians win.
    What better way is there to get a message of disillusionment across than to pick a candidate on the ballot paper who will have nearly enough votes to unseat a sitting T.D.
    Adding more votes to their Tally might do the job.

You should all vote and vote with that strategy in mind-thats people power and it gives the sitting T.D what he/she deserves if they have been lazy.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

To be fair, the polling booths will be open for 15 hours on the Friday (17th May), which should give a huge amount of people the oppurtunity to vote.

Traditionally voting has been held here during the week (usually a Wednesday or Thursday). There are arguments for (people who are normally away from home during the week and don't have a postal vote) and against a weekend vote (what about people who want to go away / visit family for a weekend and the people who have to man the polling stations and counting centres).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Wont be voting because i have exam and i am away from home might look into the postal vote not sure yet.

I am a young person and would not vote for someone under 21, nither would anyone else. What would a 18 year old do, spend the day in the Dail bar, oh wait thats what TD's do f u c k age doesnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The 21 year age requirement is something of a carryover from the days when you needed to be 21 to vote. I think the voting age requirement was changed to 18 in '72 but I'm not sure about that.

I don't see it as a major problem but I would vote for the change if it came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

i'm so glad i'm not the only one who has been blatantly disregarded by TDs and their canvassers coming to the door!

i'm SO sick of them knocking on the door and asking is my "mammy or daddy" there! i ask you!! i havent had a mammy and daddy since i was 7!!

i mean what do i have to do before these gimps will take me seriously?? dye my hair grey and come to the door with a handful of knitting???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Express your dissatisfaction to the next one who comes to your door and asks for mammy or daddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Stephen
    Express your dissatisfaction to the next one who comes to your door and asks for mammy or daddy :)
    Ask for their mammy or daddy :D

... or (if you remember Mork and Mindy), bring out your baby brother or sister and call them Mom or Dad (hey, it's your time, if you feel like being odd, what can they do about it)

Seriously though, when they asked for my parents (even before I hit 18), I used tell them they could talk to me or bugger off and lose all the votes in the house (they always talked to me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Bloody Drunkard

Me and my mates were thinking of getting 30 signatures and running someone in the election just to see how many votes we could get and prove how democracy encourages crackpots

Then we found out you had to be 21 and it just wouldn't be as fun.

SO EVERYBODY IN LIMERICK EAST SHOULD VOTE FOR BARNEY SHANAHAN (THE LOCAL CRACKPOT) . He got 98 votes last time so we need to break the 100 And he is the only politican in the country with no manifesto. If he promises nothing he will achieve all his goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Here in Northern Ireland, 2 absolute crackpots- worse than Barney Shanahan- stood for election to Newtownabbey Borough Council (Newtownabbey is an area just outside Belfast) in about 1981-and got elected!!!!! To this day, 20-odd years on, nobody's quite sure how the hell that happened!!!! The joys of PR- so there IS hope for Mr Shanahan!!!

Barney Shanahan has dropped out.

Saves me having to tell one more idiot to bugger off.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

Originally posted by Kappar

Article 16

1. 1° Every citizen without distinction of sex who has reached the age of twenty-one years, and who is not placed under disability or incapacity by this Constitution or by law, shall be eligible for membership of Dáil Éireann

Obviously, This will need amending and I am in favor of this, because if one is old enough to enter into a legal agreement one should not be disqualified from membership of the Dail, the electorate can judge them self if someone is to immature to be a member of the lower house.
    Age 21 to be a candidate. UNdemocratic I say. Thankfully this is going to change(not till after this election of course)

in fact, lowering the minimum age for membership of the dáil, and therefore for candidature from 21 to 18 was one of the reccommendations of the 7th report of the all-party oireachtas committee on the constitution, so it may well change in the next few years, but as you say, not before this election!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Bloody Drunkard

Barney Shanahan dropped out !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be because of the publicity he got on Xit poll

Damn them!!!!

Advertisement