Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So any ideas

• 28-04-2002 1:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭

Does anyone have any ideas of what could/will end up on 105 on the epg.

Do we have to wait for a new RTE channel or an independant channel like TV3 to start?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I reckon it will be 107 + 1 hour ....;)

There are so many gaps in the EPG that I wouldn't think that there's any reason to believe that something is likely to turn up on 105 just because there's a space there.

RTE just don't have the funds at the moment to start any new channels.

The only possibilty is that UTV will do a sly deal with Sky to get onto 105. As if we need their "localised" verson of ITV.

We'd be better off if Granada (as part owners of TV3) did some kind of deal to get Granada onto 105. We'd certainly stand a better chance then of getting ITV2, and we wouldn't have to listen to more years of news stories about the "troubles", which RTE have already been forcing down our necks for the last gazillion years.

That might sound mean, but give us a break !! Is there not enough news in the republic that we have to hear about every time somebody does something insane on the Falls/Garvaghy Rd or wherever ??

Sorry, but I just have bad memories of having kids programmes on Ulster TV being regularly interupted by announcements that "keyholders in the Glengormley area should return to their premises".

I certainly don't want to make little of the suffering of our friends up north (regardless of their origins).

Am I completely wrong, or even a tiny bit right ?

Discuss.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

I can certainly see what you mean, Charles. For about 10 years, until the early 1980s, the voice of a man called David Gamble, who was a continuity announcer at BBC NI, was heard about 40-50 times a night, and not just introducing programmes, but reading police messages, newsflashes etc. I remember one year, BBC NI incurred the wrath of football supporters in Northern Ireland, by constantly interrupting the FA Cup Final!!!

well thankfully the thing has calmed down slightly up North(if you don't count fire-bombing,punishment beatings etc) :)

Up untill recent years here in the South East we had no access to NI tv.
    In fact in my early years as a child, I had to put up with Billidocar on BBC Wales after school, instead of Scooby Doo :(
    This lead to an early obsession with the tv tuner and aged about Nine, I found BBC one south west-complete with Scooby doo after school:)
    There was also The Time Tunnel on the then Westward tv(susequently TSW and now Carlton Westcountry) which was on from 4.45 to 5.45 if I remember rightly.
    I now have UTV (thanks to the BBC card) and quite like it:)
    I have no objection to it being on 105.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fred Flange

Hey MM

What about Gus Honeybun?

Regards

Fred F.

Originally posted by Fred Flange
    Hey MM

What about Gus Honeybun?

Regards

Fred F.
    Jaysus-Fred!!! , thats bringing back the memories:D
    Gus Honeybun was the king of all puppets:D
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Westward... wow.....

Your're old MM!

Nostaglia fest!!! part of TV Ark

BTW, Westward started broadcasting today in 1961, 41 years ago.

Originally posted by DamoDMC
    Westward... wow.....

Your're old MM!

Nostaglia fest!!! part of TV Ark

BTW, Westward started broadcasting today in 1961, 41 years ago.
    Now! now! Damo...:D
    all the facts please..when did Westward stop broadcasting??:D
    My parents hadn't even met in 1961...didn't marry till '67 and I was their third:p
    mm
    but I am old:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You could have an argument there.....

Westward finished broadcasting on the night of 31st December 1981 (when ATV and Southern also met their Waterloo) but in fact at that stage, TSW had taken over in the previous August, as the existing company couldnt be arsed continuing. The Westward name lived until that December, when TSW launched in full.

http://www.transdiffusion.org/ident/album/westward/ and http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/itw/Westward/history.html for more info. :D

Advertisement