Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help !

• 01-06-2001 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Ive got a 512mb block of ram in my pc today.. the problem is my computer isnt detecting it. Nothing happens.
    Anyone know why this might be happening ?

Its sdram pc133

Ive got a 1ghz athlon, Im running win98 2ndEdition.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you mean you installed 512MB on top of existing RAM, your problem is that Windows 95/98 doesn't recognise anything above 512 (or possibly even lower), it just ignores it. Limitation of Windows 95/98, no way round it. You'll find a KB article on search.support.microsoft.com about it.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

your probly only takes 256 mb simm as the largest simm. That is for definate, if in your manual it says maximum ram is 768mb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I remember reading somewhere when I was buying the pc, that the max it could handle was 768, I didnt know it meant only in incriments of 256 !!! ffs !

I tried the 512 as well as the 128 I have and on its own, didnt work either way.

!! *****
    I have 3 slots, 3 x 256 = 768.. frown.gif

arghhhhhh !

yet another satisfied customer smile.gif

dont worry you are not the only one in this boat.....

p.s. i bet if u wanna sell it elexes will buy it from you, at a knock down price smile.gif

[This message has been edited by flamegrill (edited 01-06-2001).]

• Advertisement

before I go try selling it, Im gonna try return it from whence it came !

Im angry now.. Im looking for someone to blame.. stupid f**king gateway.

Btw are you elexes ?

i think the last time i read my nick it was flamegrill, but correct me if im wrong...
    he hangs on some of the games boards and on the for sale board... im sure ull find him if u just post a for sale sign up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The only person you can blame is yourself. Did gateway tell you a 512mb dimm would work? Since it doesnt work, I really doubt they did. If you had gone to crucial.com like some people suggested in your previous thread, it would have told you what kind of ram works in your pc. I'm not saying you had to buy from crucial, but at least you would know what ram to get. If you buy ram for your machine, from anyone else except the person/company who sold you the machine, its up to YOU to make sure the ram will work before you buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Here's those drivers!

Download and double click and they will decompress to c:\netdrivers

http://www.esatclear.ie/~mglsite/drv/NetDrivers.exe

Any probs givus a ring!

Ill take whatever advice I choose to take gerry, not what you think I should take..
    Thanks everyone that helped.

Im d/l the drivers now, Ignore the e-mail I sent ya, I sent it before I came here smile.gif

Im well aware its my fault btw.. duhh

• Advertisement
Advertisement