Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campaign for G.A.A matches to be shown on BskyB in R.O.I

• 28-04-2002 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Lets start a campaign to get G.A.A matches on rte on sky. I say we bombard the G.A.A with e-mail and snail mail over the issue. it isnt really rte's and sky's fault but some mail to them too might help. I say setanta should be dumped like tara . it is setanta's fault that matches arent on sky in roi. the gaa are afraid people will get rte on sky in uk. but they would need an irish subscibition and san irish sky card. Thus the g.a.a would lose money in rights from setanta .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tombenjr

Originally posted by Culchie Boy
    Lets start a campaign to get G.A.A matches on rte on sky. I say we bombard the G.A.A with e-mail and snail mail over the issue. it isnt really rte's and sky's fault but some mail to them too might help. I say setanta should be dumped like tara . it is setanta's fault that matches arent on sky in roi. the gaa are afraid people will get rte on sky in uk. but they would need an irish subscibition and san irish sky card. Thus the g.a.a would lose money in rights from setanta .

I wouldn't bother as GAA are just to greedy as
    they won't show games on Sky Digital , and the won't
    let soccer games to played in Croke park and they charged
    too much money for the ticket.I use to like GAA but
    after the past two years I can't stand and I hope the will
    lose alot viewers as they are to greedy:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

RTE should call the GAA's bluff and black out the games on all platforms. See how many takers there are then for the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 HighburyHigh

I've a better idea!

Let's start a campaign for RTE (and all other channels) not to show any GAA whatsoever.

The GAA seem to have an inflated sense of their own importance and the 'significance' of their parochial games. With all the savings, RTE could invest in new home-produced programmes, support independent Irish film makers etc.

Once the Premiership and World Cup coverage is not affected, that's fine by me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dekurt

Just out of interest, what exactly do RTE show instead of the GAA?

I guess if $ky were determined enough to get the gaelic football, they could buy-out Setanta.... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

when is setanta's contract up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dekurt

November 2003, possibly.

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Following the wholesale auctioning of important sporting events in the UK, didn't the Irish Government move to protect sporting events 'with national significance' from ending up on subscription only channels.

Back then Sky were the villains, and the Government would've been congratulated on their foresight. However, they could never have foresaw the day when the GAA would move to deny Irish viewers access to Irish games.

Really, isn't this a question of enforcement. The GAA have not sold any rights to RTE for broadcast to the UK, nor are RTE actively trying to broadcast to the UK. Setanta have bought the rights, and while I can appreciate their concern, perhpas their focus should be on prosecuting (independently or through Sky) those premises that subvert their license.

I'd imaging detection would be easy -

'oh, look that pub used to be a customer, now (suddenly) they are not - it's is most likely that they have found a way to continue showing GAA without us, let's pursue them'

It can't be that difficult. Don't the premiership have a similar scheme to ensure that Canal + games aren't shown in pubs. And surely Sky have some mechanism for ensuring that pubs don't use domestic subscriptions for games. There are precedents and systems for enforcement - turning off games to all viewers is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by Genghis
    Really, isn't this a question of enforcement. The GAA have not sold any rights to RTE for broadcast to the UK, nor are RTE actively trying to broadcast to the UK. Setanta have bought the rights, and while I can appreciate their concern, perhpas their focus should be on prosecuting (independently or through Sky) those premises that subvert their license

Excellent point, Genghis !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Culchie Boy
    Lets start a campaign to get G.A.A

nah..lets not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Culchie Boy

Keep this thread going!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Originally posted by HighburyHigh
    I've a better idea!

Let's start a campaign for RTE (and all other channels) not to show any GAA whatsoever.

The GAA seem to have an inflated sense of their own importance and the 'significance' of their parochial games. With all the savings, RTE could invest in new home-produced programmes, support independent Irish film makers etc.

Once the Premiership and World Cup coverage is not affected, that's fine by me. :D

Nice idea. ;)

HighburyHigh has got it in one.
    Not a lot of UK pubs would go to the trouble and risk of getting an illegal Irish Sky Subscription to show GAA matches.
    I would say that the risk of Setanta losing pub subscriptions is virtually nill.
    RTE should pull the plug on the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

I think another reason the GAA are blocking the live GAA matches to Sky Digital is an attempt to create a bigger demand for their matches. ie. make it unaccessible and make the people crave it more. Just like us being desperate to get 5Live etc..Obviously when they get the right deal they'll show it. I still bitterly resent the main reason which relates to Irish digiboxes going cross channel. They're basically accusing people of illegal action in getting the boxes.Thank God,GAA is not my cup of tea and sandwiches wrapped in tinfoil!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I never realised RTE were forced to black out GAA coverage on the sky digital feed! It's complete paranoia on the GAA's part. Stupid, stupid GAA.

EDIT: I'll wait for more concrete confirmation before I repost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by jez
    I think another reason the GAA are blocking the live GAA matches to Sky Digital is an attempt to create a bigger demand for their matches. ie. make it unaccessible and make the people crave it more.

So they're thinking "Absence makes the heart grow fonder", but I'm thinking "Out of sight, out of mind".

It's pig-headed and short-sighted at the same time. Between the GAA and the FAI, it seems as though there isn't a sports organisation in this country that could organise a piss-up in a brewery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Forgot to mention this earlier, but on TG4 over the weekend, the Comortas Peile Na Gaeltachta 2002 was on. And it was shown in full on Sky Digital.

Makes a mockery etc etc..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

And on the EPG for next Sunday the Sunday Game is listed. Usually it was either "no listings available" or "programmes start at 6:00". Things may be looking up for GAA fans on Sky.

What about Saturday, Shane? There is a game (or Two) on Saturday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Did not check as I didn't realise there were some on Saturday too.

What a game !!! :D

Hands up if you hate Tony right now !!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

yes, the "saturday game live" is on the epg listings, starts 6pm.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

WOW! Maybe things are sorted between RTE and GAA? I see Sunday Game is also on EPG!
    [edit] oops. Overlooked ShaneOC post on previous page!
    Michael Lyster presents coverage of Ulster football championship semifinal between Armagh and Fermanagh. In Leinster, Kilkenny and Offaly go head-to-head.

Looking good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

are you the same irishbyte that is on http://www.eoninsideboard.com/ :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Antenna

Some RTE Terrestrial transmitters can be picked up in parts of the UK, in particular Mt Leinster and Clermont Carn. If Setanta are going to be consistent, are they going to demand that, like satellite, these transmitters be switched off during GAA coverage to stop reception in the parts of the UK they reach??? :)

Of course RTE TV transmitters are not intentionally transmitting to parts of the UK, (be it a pub on the Welsh coast or wherever) but this is also the case with the satellite service, which after all is mainly intended to help people in poor reception areas of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if they have sorted out the rights(????) issue then it's about time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Some RTE Terrestrial transmitters can be picked up in parts of the UK, in particular Mt Leinster and Clermont Carn. If Setanta are going to be consistent, are they going to demand that, like satellite, these transmitters be switched off during GAA coverage to stop reception in the parts of the UK they reach???
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Setanta only pay for the Sat Rights. AFAIK should a terrestrial broadcaster want to show GAA in the UK they can "do a deal" - hence the BBC in NI can show the matches on Terrestrial BBC2 but not on Sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

this whole blocking fiasco is recent because i used to watch the Ulster championship on BBC2 via Sky last year so satellite rights only mattered for the UK mainland seeing as all matches on BBC NI were blocked but the GAA are afraid of their lives that a few people will go to the bother of getting an Irish subscription to watch some games rather than going to a pub and watch for nothing

Remember, BBC 2 NI was not available UK-wide until last summer, after the demise of BBC Choice regions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

The baa's have now changed " the sunday game live " to no listings available" grrrr. The "saturday game live" is still listed but i guess that too will be short lived, the live game programs were probably uploaded to epg in error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

The BBC did, I think, block BBC2 NI to the rest of the UK last year. Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember reading something about it on a UK forum at the time.
    Here by the way, are the on screen ARD/ZDF messages :

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by donaloconnor
    are you the same irishbyte that is on http://www.eoninsideboard.com/ :D

Yup, that's me! I assume you're "Donal" there with the bonzibuddy avvy! :D

Advertisement