Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyro 2

• 31-05-2001 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

£91 excl vat and delivery at scan!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

do you work for scan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Sterling plus £30 sterling delivery. Do you work for scan?

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

£116 stg icl vat and del, which beats any other price ive seen.
    It'c cheaper than gts's and about the same price as 64mb gf2 mx.
    Do you work for scan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Good price.I'm keeping an eye on em.

Do i work for scan?

[This message has been edited by bugler (edited 31-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

116? err Scans delivery is 30 quid iirc.
    then add your vat on top of the full amount.
    then convert to irish.

example: £120 burner i bought. IR£210 quid on the credit card bill... not good.

I'll stress this over and over and over until people stop thinking they're getting great deals from Scan. only in bulk will you be saving and even then its a close call these days.

Still though its a very impressive card, unfortunaly I wouldn't be caught being one of the first to go for it though.

If by the time the Kyro III comes out (pretty soon apparently?) they have gained market (and proper driver) support and a bit of leverage then I'll go and buy one.

• Advertisement

£116 incl vat and deliveruy in england.
    If i was buying it, id put in my uncle's address in england and get him to bring it over as a "gift"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hmmm it seems they (scan) have just recently dropped their flat rate delivery charge, so they can now charge even more for bulk orders... ouch.

If you post a price whitelancer, try and post it in Irish pounds, that way its a realistic price. The kryo II is a good card, sometimes faster than a gts, but always significantly better than a geforce2 mx. www.anandtech.com has a good review of it.
    It has some driver issues, but most games work fine. I'd chance it if I was building a budget machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

just a curious questn here, not based on anything but a small bit of logic:
    Wil the Kyro2 struggle to compete with hardware T&L cards (Radeon, GeForce, Quadro etc.) for rendering large outdoor areas like Halo, Unreal2, etc. ??
    I reckon it might, being tile based, it relies on rendering only hwtas to be seen, which is fine for level with lots of corridors etc. but sounds to me not so good for rendering a large outdoor sacious highly textured 32-bit arena. Games like planetside will be doing that sort of stuuf soon. please correct me ifi'm wrong as I haven't really researched this, just going on what I understand 'Tile rendering' and 'Only rendering what can be seen' to mean.
    If its half-way decent I'd use it for building a cheap buget system to play on my lan at home.
    Commence Flame.

John

No-one ever suspects the Duck
    He who must die, must die in the dark even though he sells candles

Well, these outdoor areas will have large polygon counts, and large amounts of overdraw. So I'd say the kyro2 will do well enough here. Powervr will be incorporating a t&l unit soon, I'm not sure if kyro3 will have 1, but sega's arcade machines use powervr chips along dedicated geometry processors, so it does work well, and hopefully should be in consumer boards soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Any irish places selling kyroII's yet? Nowt on marx-computers yet, any others that might have em?

Ta,
    Lampsie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

No sites as far as I know, but strangely enough PC World have a rake of 'em in stock at the moment.

Not sure exactly which ones or the prices, I'll try and get 'em tommorrow.

Even if GF2 gts was same price as kyroII, id buy kyroII just to keep the competition alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

I see peats are selling them now for £180. Thought the'd have them cheaper than that over here :/ (around geforce2mx prices ~£120ish)

[This message has been edited by Spoonman (edited 02-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Well I do have a slight advantage on everyone, I get paid in punts (atm) and I live in the ROI, South, 26 counties Free, State, what ever flavor takes ya. But I can also get stuff delivered to my door in N.Ireland, 6 counties, Occupied territory, same as above. One thing I do know that in the country there is nowhere that you will get the deals that you get in the UK, the prices are crazy here, and I mean totally looped up, I deal with the different currencies everyday, almost every day of my life ( I have lived on the boarder, bothsides, all my life ) For people to be saying about the prices are better here, well that's a new one, I know that on the pricing even with delivery to my door in the Republic I saved a lot of cash, especially on larger orders than dealing with Irish traders. I for one would prefer to deal with "local" (ie IE outfits) but with the stupid charges they make I find it beneficial to deal with UK suppliers. US ones can beat them, but with delivery times and support, it is not worth it, I have also found that UK traders will support/replace items a lot quicker than Irish suppliers.

Past experience,

Leverz

Advertisement