Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A way to get them to listen ???

Options
  • 28-04-2002 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I have an idea that may get the government to listen to the cause properly. It seems that the current government do not know too much about technology as we all know,
    but when the government does not know about something, or isnt arsed trying to find out itself , it doe what it always does,
    it gets an independant body of experts to commison a report

I propose ireland offline is that body of experts, we probably know the most out of the government and industry put together about the problems faced. Why dont we commission a document to hand out to the government ? It will create great media attention and frankly i cant see we've got anything to lose by doing it ..

Not to put down the site, but half of the people in the government dont even check their email never mind look up a website telling them what they're doing wrong ..

This report will be a way of getting the issues that matter to the right people and if done well , we can really get the message across.

I think it will have to respect a few more aspects then just
    'givus broadband now' so the kids can download off kazaa :)

I propose it would include a larger spectrum , for example the state of access in schools, the effect good broadband access has had on internet usage and eduction in other countries, and of course we need to give our recomendations of actions to take,
    number 1 is obviously our cause, but we can broaden it a bit to include the negative implications , for the both the tech sector and the irish economy as a whole if it is not brought in very soon.

We will need to set up a team to do this, i am tied up for the next few weeks with a project , but after that i'll be free to lend a hand ...

Lets make a concrete time framework to get this done ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

Eircom and ESAT are going to release broadband soon.
    No point in sending a document to the government showing the problems caused in Ireland without ADSL when it is being released.

Unless you want to mention something about flat-rate 56K.

The Price and cap is our problem at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Yes
    We all know broadband is being introduced, but at a ****ty cost, thats what i meant when i was talking about it not being introduced.
    You knew what i meant !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I made a start on something like this recently, but I haven't had a chance to get back to it. David Long is also working on something slightly different. If anyone wishes to contribute, it will of course be most welcome.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

Someone tell me what the Government can do to reduce the price of ADSL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

The documentation process of all our contact is evolving over time. The current version is a snapshot. This is being added to and will feature on the new web site which we will go live with later tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Dangger,

That looks excellent, are you going to put it in hard copy for distibution to the goverment ?

Are you going to add in any recommendations ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Its an evolving piece of work. The ISC are supposed to be doing what you have suggested to a certain extent. But since they were appointed in November'01 and the telecoms group headed by Patricia O'Hara is having its first meeting on May 1st its all a bit slow. We will be meeting with the ISC sometime after their May 1st meeting, in fact we are on their agenda for discusion at the meeting. We have information that we feel they should be aware of.

But ultmately a submission would have to go directly to the government, whoever that might be!

Advertisement