Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when is the election for the seanad ?

Options
  • 28-04-2002 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

hmm, as general election coming up, just wondered why i have never had/experienced the opportunity to vote for the seanad ever.
    Where does the seanad sit ?!
    Is there a reason why there has not been seanad elections and do i have a legal right to vote for a seanad ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Seanad election is held about a month after the Dáil election.

The are no direct elections - 11 Senators are appointed by the Taoiseach and the rest are elected by panels - mostly by county councillors and degree graduates for the eduction panels.

The Seanad sits in the Seanad chamber in Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Seanaid leader Maurice (he's FG, but we all have aour crosses to bear) Manning lectures in UCD. Generally there is nothing House of Lords esque about the Irish Seanaid. But there are probably a few who wouldn't exactly be described as being down to earth. Its obviously less powerful than the Dàil, but is valuable nontheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

Originally posted by Bateman
    The Seanaid leader Maurice Manning lectures in UCD.

he's such a sweetie! he practically spelled out exactly what questions would be on the exam! i love lecturers like that!! and he stayed for ages during the exam to make sure everyone was ok!! awwww.....he's like santa without the beard!! (and the morbid obesity!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Phoenix has a good bit about this particular tulip this fortnight

http://62.17.153.170/senator_cv_95.htm

The abbreviated synopsis: rich tulip given senatorship by Reynolds for his support, likes the title as dumb yanks don't realise that Irish senators are only a step above county councillors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

It was suggested that Tom Parlon struck a deal with the PDs that if he didn't get elected as a TD then they would put him forward as a Senator instead which is probably the only reason why someone with a farming background could be induced to stand for a party like the PDs which isn't as sympathetic to the plight of farmers as the traditional parties.

Originally posted by Mailman
    It was suggested that Tom Parlon struck a deal with the PDs that if he didn't get elected as a TD then they would put him forward as a Senator instead
    I'm not sure if you a being fair to either the PDs or Parlon. Who are you to question his personal politics? Quite a few failed candidates of all parties go for Seanad seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

His nomination was one of the strangest in the run up to this election but as it is down in Laois-Offaly which is a backwater the media haven't bothered to pick up on it.
    Fine Gael and the PDs were in a blind auction for Tom Parlon's services.
    He wasn't even sure who he would run for.
    He has no history in the PDs and as former leader of the IFA he wouldn't have shared much common ground with them in past.

The general feeling in the constituency is that his preference would have been FG but he didn't get the deal he was looking for.

The motivation for the PDs is obvious - a reasonable poll in a constituency where they have had no profile previously.

I expect he won't be elected but will prevent FF from taking a third seat and we'll see within 6 weeks whether he ends up in the Seanad or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do you guys not think that it is time that the seanad elections are reformed and open to the public.

Its just a retirement home for Berties friends:)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Do you guys not think that it is time that the seanad elections are reformed
    Yes.
    time that the seanad elections are ... open to the public.
    Do you mean candidature or the electors? There is an argument for having a 'academic / professional' as opposed to 'pleb' (not sure if that word is appropriate) upper house (I desrcibe it's nature, not composition or electorate). However, the current Senate has been brought into disrepute by it's antiquated procedures and lack of profile.
    Its just a retirement home for Berties friends:)
    This is probably unfair to some senators, but yes it needs a general shake-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thx for links victor, as far as i can see, the seanad should be not stay in its present format and elected by people who have degrees from the main universities and appointed 'professionals' by the government.
    What about the rights of the rest of the population !!
    It would put the house of lords to shame, it sounds like a retirement home/talking shop for politicians who are not accountable.
    Strange thing is i have a degree but not eligible :)
    If i was eligible i wouldn't vote unless it was reformed and every person has right to vote for a senator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Is the system in the Republic the same as UK, e.g. a Bill has to go the same route as in the UK, 3 "readings" in the Dail, and 3 in the Seanad (excuse the spelling, but Irish isn't my first language)

Originally posted by CHRISTYG
    Is the system in the Republic the same as UK, e.g. a Bill has to go the same route as in the UK, 3 "readings" in the Dail, and 3 in the Seanad (excuse the spelling, but Irish isn't my first language)
    Not sure if it is quite the same insofar as there is a "Committee Stage", but yes it needs to go through both houses. See http://www.gov.ie/bills28/guide.htm

Seanad Election details.

Of course Mary O'Rourke could make a come back to DOPE as a Seanad member of the cabinet on the Taoiseachs nomination.
    CONSTITUTION OF IRELAND, Article 18
    Seanad Éireann shall be composed of sixty members, of whom eleven shall be nominated members and forty-nine shall be elected members. ...

The nominated members of Seanad Éireann shall be nominated, with their prior consent, by the Taoiseach who is appointed next after the re-assembly of Dáil Éireann following the dissolution thereof which occasions the nomination of the said members. ...
    CONSTITUTION OF IRELAND, Article 28.7
    1° The Taoiseach, the Tánaiste and the member of the Government who is in charge of the Department of Finance must be members of Dáil Éireann.

2° The other members of the Government must be members of Dáil Éireann or Seanad Éireann, but not more than two may be members of Seanad Éireann.

Advertisement