Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books for my summer holidays

Options
  • 29-04-2002 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

At the moment, I'm intending to get the any of the following read on my holiadays:

No Logo - Naomi Klein (get it finished)
    Fast Food Nation
    Catch-22 - Heller (finally)
    Stupid White Men ... and Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation! - Michael Moore

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

cocaine by dominic streatfeild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Payback - Richard Stark or any of his Parker books.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Books I've been reading lately and found "quite good actually":

Zadie Smith - White Teeth
    Donald Passman - All you need to know about the music business
    Andy Oram (ed) - Peer to Peer - Harnessing the power of disruptive technologies
    Paul Theroux - My Secret History
    Roald Dahl - The collected short stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency and anything else by Douglas Adams really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Woody Allen - collected stories
    Microserfs, by Douglas Coupland
    A History of the World in 10 1/2 chapters, by Julian Barnes
    Time's Arrow, by Martin Amis
    The Divided Self, by R.D. Laing
    Our Word is Our Weapon, by S. Marcos
    100 Years of Solitude, by G.G. Marques
    Life in Hell, by Matt Groening
    V for Vendetta, by Alan Moore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Found R. D. Laing's 'Self and Others' upstairs :D. Something else to read alright.

Keep 'em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

Anything by Louis de Bernieres except Little Red Dog thing. One of his thats especially worth a look is "The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts" a book thats even better than it's title.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Leon Uris - Trinity

Is there anything you'd recommend for us then, Dada?

I'm planning to read 'Perfume' by Patrick Suskind (before the Ridley Scott film comes out!) and I suppose I should probably read a Harry Potter book at some stage. And Where's Wally, that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IzzyStraddlin?

Obviously im new to all of this, but i thought id pick an easy one to make my first posting.............

Ive read some really good books but i would absolutely recommend anything by Hunter S.Thompson. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in partiular. That is just a mad mad book.

Dog Soldiers by Robert Stone is a good read, i managed that one in less than a day........which says a lot about me really.

Ummm um ummm, i agree with the Douglas Adams post, so funny and yet easy to read.

Ok, im done...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

There is a film version of "Perfume" being released!?!?!! This is news to me! The book is amazing... I'm working up to readign the german version this summer... :s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i've picked two books for my summer holidays this year. four weeks of lazy sun and i cant wait. :) first one is Our Posthuman Future by Francis Fukuyama and im gonna go along with rachel and get Cocaine as well (the book i mean) :p

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Against Nature by Huysmans

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Looking again at the four you've initially listed, you could do a lot worse than to get a few by PJ O'Rourke (notably "Eat the Rich" and "Give War a chance") and for light reading some of Bill Bryson's better anti-American books ("Notes from a Big Country" and "Made in America") - stay away from "Mother Tongue" unless you're into language, stay away from "A Walk in the Woods" at all costs due to its not being funny enough. "Neither Here Nor There" if you're travelling anywhere, but if you're doing that, just get some Paul Theroux. Funnier (far funnier) than Louis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seba27

Originally posted by adnans
    i've picked two books for my summer holidays this year. four weeks of lazy sun and i cant wait. :) first one is Our Posthuman Future by Francis Fukuyama and im gonna go along with rachel and get Cocaine as well (the book i mean) :p

adnans
    [/QUO

ello I know tihis book F. Fukuyamy :eek: I`m student from poland
    and I work a little bit sametimes :) how are you? what are you doing in Limeryck? I was in Irland on 1999 in Dublin and I saw Sligo and Donnegal too, but don`t Limeryck:confused: Is it a small city, nice or boring place? see you soon (messeges from you;) ) I hope so soon.
    sorry for my English:D
    seba (are you m or f)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Hi Dadakopf,
    Some books to convert you to the dark-side :)
    “The Napolean of Notting Hill - Chesterton
    “Parliament of Whores” – O’Rourke
    “Honoured Enemy” – Feist & Forstchen

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmm, from past conversation I'd recommend, "A Critque of Pure Reason", by Immanauel Kant, "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" by Nietzche, and possibly "The Nicomeaceon (sp?) Ethics", by Aristotle.

Otherwise I'd say "The Night's Dawn Trilogy" by Hammilton, the "Game of Thrones series" by George R. R. Martin.

Then again, you've prob read most of 'em already knowing you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Dada,
    Based on your postings, I think you would enjoy these books:

Slouching Towards Bethlehem - Joan Didion
    The Mind of God - Paul Davies
    White Noise - Don de Lillo.

Manach, got any more titles to peruse? I will always be appreciative to you for suggesting Everlasting Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. For those long summer nights when you feel like saying up all night before the world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

any of the Tom Clancy books are great for summer reading

i started readin em when i was about 12 with Clear and Present Danger and worked my way around them

particular ones to note - executive orders, rainbow 6, bear and the dragon, red storm rising and without remorse

very political/warfare type books, not everyones taste and can be quite tough going at times, but very well written.

this year ill probally finish of the david gemmell books, and hopefully the next book of the Wheel of Times series will arrive :)

• Advertisement

Here's a few more you might like, dk...

Maus, by Art Spiegelman
    Gorazde, by Joe Sacco (both graphic novels about cheerful stuff like the Holocaust and the Yugoslavian war, both amazing)
    Stigma, by Erving Goffman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by nesf

Otherwise I'd say "The Night's Dawn Trilogy" by Hammilton
    Yes, Nights Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton is the best sci-fi trilogy.
    Each of the books is huge(~1k pages) but it never gets boring or repetitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

The Mind Game - Hector Macdonald

it's his first book and has more twists than a ....very twisty thing - would be a great book for summer reading

Advertisement