Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disturbing?

• 29-04-2002 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

I am somewhat new to these boards and I find it disturbing that when I do log on here I am greeted with this;

"DeVore
    (Bastard-Operator-From-Hell)"

A lot of children use these boards and I see this as a bad example
    as to what they might expect to find here. So I respectfully request that this sorth of post from an Operator not be made here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

children on these boards?
    i wouldn't say there are many youngsters here. ( in the ireland offline section i mean)

Even if there are they are well used to foul language from just about everywhere. Also whats to say he isnt a bastard? (using its original meaning here)

I can see your point but i think we all know enough not to take it personally? (not sure if i phrased that right)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by 212.2.179.66
    I am somewhat new to these boards and I find it disturbing that when I do log on here I am greeted with this;

"DeVore

as to what they might expect to find here. So I respectfully request that this sorth of post from an Operator not be made here.

Since he owns and runs the board, i suggest you take it up with him yourself :)

Anyway, having seen what the children are capable of doing themselves, i think the word bastard is the last of your worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

have to agree with dustaz here. its not that bad a word and anyway what makes it a bad word? what makes anyword a bad word you think it is then it becomes it then it is. ok im posting this then going to get my head checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It must be just spiffing to have so little to worry about in your life. At the risk of doing a Typedef bastard is a legitimate English word.

Won't someone think of the children!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's a case of DeV's boards = Dev's rules

Anyway, cant see much on these boards that would attract chidren - teenagers perhaps, but I suspect an extremely high percetage of them have been exposed to worse langage that that word :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I happen to like DeVore's (Bastard-Operator-From-Hell)
    thingie that he has going and speaking as a mother I have no problem with my kid reading it, she has enough brain cells to work out that it's a joke, perhaps you should consider that if there are other kids reading this, they might have enough brain cells to work it out also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    I happen to like DeVore's (Bastard-Operator-From-Hell)
    thingie that he has going and speaking as a mother I have no problem with my kid reading it, she has enough brain cells to work out that it's a joke, perhaps you should consider that if there are other kids reading this, they might have enough brain cells to work it out also.

I think it is scary and my mammy says I shouldn't hold hands with men that say bad words, EVEN if they give me sweets.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

IT lets any new member know straight away, who not to mess
    with probably saves a lot of newbies from being banned straight
    off the mark for stupid comments towards Devore,
    I think its slightly Better than the Pc version " Please , please be nice "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

So, are you saying its a bad thing to be a bastard ? If i was a genuine bastard , that would be offending !!!

Get a grip would ya, there is a lot more to worry about than someone labeling themselves a bastard.

FFS some people just like to moan , me thinks !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

None of you have mentioned that the Bastard-Operator-From-Hell was (is, maybe) a series of stories published by some Yank operator (similar to network administrator) about his psychotic tendancies towards the users on his network - they are highly amusing (if you are a *nix nerd).

Try google for it...

b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The internet is not the babysitter.

I would be more annoyed that parents let thier young kids onto the net without supervision, or some kind of blocking software.

I suppose he could put BOFH which any tech head worth their salt would understand the defination, but then you will probably get kids asking what does that mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Having read probably all of Bastard-Operator-From-Hell series I salute DeVore! Excellent choice!!!

Anyway as has been said before Bastard is a proper English word. Its like complaining to a dog owner for reffering to his dog as a Bitch when that is exactly why she is!!

Unregistered do your kids by any chance watch Father Ted or any tv show for that matter? If you in fact own a TV then you are exposing your children to more "bad words" in one day than all of us here at the boards could post in a year! Besides.. our fave word is not bad.. Muppet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Do you let your children watch TV? If so, they have heard far worse on TV then someone's nick. The word bastard has been 'de-criminalized' over the last few decades and you can found it being said a huge number of TV programs.

Also, while im at it, if you let your children browse the internet unsupervised then you sir, are an idiot and should go put in place some practical proceedures before coming onto the boards preeching how it should be ran.

AND... Im sure you would read the disclaimer if you signed up for the boards ? Oh you didnt ? You post as Anom. Bleeeeh. Says it all really..

I suppose you find my nick offensive too?

Is it just me or has the quality of posts taken a nose-dive since people are able to post unregistered

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by MindPhuck
    I suppose you find my nick offencive too?
    I've always found it offensive Eric...

*stir stir stir*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Saruman
    Is it just me or has the quality of posts taken a nose-dive since people are able to post unregistered

I concur! 'tis much easier to be silly if no one knows who you are!
    on the other hand, if you have a big problem and now that we have met each other, maybe it's not so easy to post if you have to use your name, catch 22 in this case

Personally i think the only place you should have the option to be unregistered is on the personal Issues board! Other than that there is no reason for it and its being used by spammers and other muppets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Umm this person *is* registered. They just chose an ip number as a nick as far as I can see.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

thats what i was trying to work out logic.

are people seeing his name as an ip number or 'unregistered'? i see it as an ip number, which is what i assume he chose as his nick (he posts to the ireland offline forum, and as such may not be familiar with the runnings of boards.ie).

i was not sure myself.. i just figured it was a new thing that unregistered people have their IP posted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

I think he's Boston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by Felix Randel
    I think he's Boston

What makes you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

Just a feeling i have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ea No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...the term "bastard" is a very old one (the first reference in the OED to the term dates back to 1297); and is not necessarily "vulgar" in the sense that people will sometimes automatically associate.

In fact, have you taken the time to check out how many meanings "bastard" actually has???

Well, here's a list for you (excluding the one you've seemingly automatically assumed):

1) Illegitimate child born out of wedlock
    2) Person of mixed breed
    3) Mongrel
    4) A sweet Spanish wine
    5) A type of cloth
    6) A type of galley (i.e. boat)
    7) A type of cannon
    8) A type of large sail
    9) A paper size
    10) A type of coarse sugar
    11) A mould into which sugar is drained
    12) A type of gothic script

...there are a couple more, and while some of them aren't terribly nice, that certainly can't be applied to all of them, the above should be enough to prove my point.

The only person whose absolutely certain of which meaning he intended is DeVore himself, and you have no legally defensible argument that can prove that he had chosen any specific one of the above.

Gadget
    (P.S.> Nice choice, DeV - love the series!)

Go Go Gadget!!

Oh and eh why would Boston complain about Bastard when his sig is
    * Bolox producing device ® and © balls incorp. Used To produce endless amounts of bull. No post sould be taken in anyway serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I'd rather my children be exposed to the word "bastard" than to the poor spelling, sentence structure and logic of the post which started this thread.

For that matter once they're old enough to be able to use the web without supervision or assistance I'd hope that they'd have a wide enough vocabulary to be aware of the word and some of its current, historical and jargon meanings. I want my children to be polite, but not at the cost of them being ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by Talliesin
    I'd rather my children be exposed to the word "bastard" than to the poor spelling, sentence structure and logic of the post which started this thread.

For that matter once they're old enough to be able to use the web without supervision or assistance I'd hope that they'd have a wide enough vocabulary to be aware of the word and some of its current, historical and jargon meanings. I want my children to be polite, but not at the cost of them being ignorant.

Hear, hear.

Unfortunately, at least for the spelling aspect of it, as dyslexia seems to be a rapidly growing phenomenon, especially amongst males, in recent times, it's often difficult to tell the difference between poor/lazy spellers and those who have a genuine difficulty in that regard. I know I've been caught out before. :(

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dev I think its time you lived up to your title and 12 clicked this monkey :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

g'wan the venom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by 212.2.179.66

"DeVore

This is a joke right? bwahaha.

Anyhoo, why don't you lock your children up and stop them watching TV while you're at it? I hear that children hear bad words in school too. Let's start a campaign. Keep Kids Out Of School.

Nice one Venom...

As for bad spelling etc.. i know in my case when im doing emails or anything online i tend to be lazy and not worry abut grammar and spelling and typos too much.. unless i spot them as i type them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement