Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook Question

Options
  • 29-04-2002 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭

Outlook Express does this thing where say I'm receiving my messages and I get disconnected from the net or it times out, I have already downloaded half of the e-mails but when I reconnect it downloads them all over again. Is there any way to get it to just pick up where it left off instead of starting all over again. It's a real pain when there is over 100 to download and it times out after like 70 and it has to start all over again.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's probably not really Outlook Express's fault. Mail servers wait until they receive a QUIT from the client, and then tidy up, rather than deleting messages one at a time. If you get cut off, no QUIT is sent, so the server keeps the messages in case the whole transfer was screwed up. The only solution is to set your timeout higher and hope for the best. (And obviously, find a way to not get disconnected.)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

If your ISP has a webmail interface, you could possibly check your mail over the web. That way you can see if there is any huge mail stuffing your mailbox - I recently had to do this for my brother coz he was having the same problem as you, only with 1361 messages - total size 9 megs

You can then delete the read / received messages from your mailbox

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

i'm not sure but maybe it could be your idle settings for the actual dial up connection. see if theres a time out, or maybe try getting a 'ping' program such as 'TrayPing'. it will ping an internet address every couple of seconds which will keep your internet connection from dying out on you while you download your messages.

alternatively you could try get someone with isdn or a faster connection, download the mails from their Pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Best thing to do is go to www.mail2web.com
    Log in there, delete the messages you have/don't want and then download the rest into your mail program.
    Depending on the ISP you're on, you may have to fill in the email address as "user@mailserver".
    Or else try to find a program called Email Remover. The homepage for it is down, but I'm sure there's copies of it somewhere.
    There's also loads of email checkers etc. on Tucows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

ICQ will check your mail too.. also hotmail's pop option.. you can delete them from the server from there i believe if there is a big one you dont want. Or you can delete the ones you have downloaded before you got cut off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Theres probably one huge email in there, Try telnetting in and deleting it manually

Start -> Run ->

telnet address.of.pop3.server 110

When its loaded, type

USER your_username
    PASS your_password
    LIST

Now find the big one and delete it,

DELE 1
    QUIT

It will look something like this ->

+OK <20084.1020093802@mail1.eircom.net>
    >user Rento
    +OK
    >pass password
    +OK
    >list
    +OK
    1 14845533
    >dele 1
    +OK
    >quit

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Thanks for the help. It turns out that there were 5 e-mails that all contained an executable and a picture file (all of them were virii). They were causing the timeouts.
    Regarding idle time, I have that turned off so that was never the problem. The dropped connections are Esats fault not mine so I cant really prevent them.
    That telnet method is really handy cheers Dennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think many mail progs will let you download just the headers before the whole message, to let you weed out your spam/viruses before d'l ing.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

maybe the "Leave a copy of the message on the mail server" is checked in outlook's properties.

Advertisement