Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Java Users Group

Options
  • 29-04-2002 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

irishjava.jpg

lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

hmmmmm subtle, too subtle for me in fact, mind explaining??

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭carl_

just above the lol ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

too subtle for me in fact, mind explaining??

surely u can see the Error on Page warning in the Status Bar. Coming from a GOLDEN WEB AWARD winner, it would indeed deserve a LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I never got that error on my machine.
    To be honest it's close to impossible to get JS working in every version of IE. Mainly because you can only have one version on a machine.

The rest of the site is done really really well. I think it deserves the award.

Besides if you spot something like that, shouldn't you contact the webmaster rather than laughing about it on a message board?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Works fine for me.. what JVM are you using?

• Advertisement

Mind you...
    !! Could'nt connect to the IJUG profiles database !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

i couldnt look at the rest of the site because the link wasnt working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Right as an Admin on IJUG, I have to welcome your criticisms, but seriously though it is nearly impossible to satisfy every browser with a functionality rich site.

I don't have anything to do with the actual development/maintenance of the site, that is all Matthew's work. The man is a genius and I think he deserves the award for his months of work on IJUG.

On a completely different note, I recommend you use IE5+. It works in that, and the site is very well done. I heard someone mention before that they were aware of another JUG in Ireland. It was called JSIG (I think), and it never really took off. But some of the original members of JSIG now work in collaboration with IJUG. The group has grown to around 400 members, and the forums are quite active. It's a great place to get some expert advice on Java. But don't ask me, I'm not an expert yet, but I can tell you that there are some serious Java headz on that site.

Good luck ;)

;-phobos-)

I'm not giving out. I tried to register and it tells me I can't connect to DB.

Using IE5.5 with default JVM. I can switch on the 1.3 or 1.4 JVM if I know that will let me register?

I'm not giving out. I tried to register and it tells me I can't connect to DB.

Oh no by all means complain, it's the only way things will ever be fixed. Even though I don't know what Matthew used to develop the site, I know there is very little applet content. So changing your VM wouldn't matter much. It's not an applet that does the DB connectivity it's the PHP on the server side.

As regards things not displaying correctly, that has to do with what the web apps are returning to your browser, and then (more importantly) how your browser tries to interpret it. Anyway I think it has more to do with people's browser setup, so if yez could will ye post your preffered browser, and OS platform. That way I can get on to Matthew about the problem. The site uses java scripting extensively, and that can be a bugger to debug, especially since everyone is using different platforms. Take for example, I have found 2 instances where the content either didn't display correctly, or even at all. There is only one or two other setups I can get the site to work under. Actually those of you that can access the site. There is a "Web Site" board that lets you post any problems you have. But that's kind of ironic when you think about, because most of ye can't even get that far.

So tell me about your setup, and I'll see what I can do.

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement

Internet Explorer Version 6.0.2600.0000
    Windows 2000 pro.

Both have all the latest security / service packs.

i havnt downloaded any java releases so i must be using the windows 2k default what ever that is.

oooh cipher strenght 128bit

:)

Welcome to the Irish Java Users Group, home to
    Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/ijug/public_html/index_.php on line 429
    Java users.

managed to get in but the links are borked :)

Internet Explorer Version 6.0.2600.0000

You didn't! OMFG!! You Did!

Right get rid of 6.0 and reinstall 5.5. 6 does not support Java at all, amongst other things. But I can tell you that it loves connecting to IIS (not surprisingly), and interating with .NET enabled web services.

You sound like a guy who wants/gets the latest of everything. But latest doesn't always mean greatest.

When installing software (especially BIG things like browsers), investigate everything down to how it interprets document. That way you will have more control over what content you can display correctly and what stuff you can't. But when IE7 comes out, don't just install it because its (the_previous_version + 1);

Just a thought.
    Nevertheless since there are people out there that will continue to do things like this, Matthew will be notified.

Take care;)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

How did you get the 2003 award, when its not 2003??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

How did you get the 2003 award, when its not 2003??

well it is the year 2002 - 2003. and cos they deserve it :)....

Advertisement